• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 kenworthy

kenworthy

UKPoliceOnline Legend

• UKPoliceOnline Reporter
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Man from Hertfordshire charged with perverting the course of justice.

A man from Hertfordshire pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice after the vehicle he was driving was found to have been fitted with a laser jammer. 

On Saturday 04 August 2012, an officer from Humberside Police was monitoring the speed of traffic on the M180. At around 1051hrs a silver coloured Range Rover approached the officer, and appeared to be travelling above the 70mph speed. 

The officer made an attempt to measure the speed of the vehicle. However an error message was displayed on the speed measuring device which gave the officer reason the Range Rover may have been fitted with a laser jammer. 

After a preliminary forensic investigation, it was established that the vehicle was fitted with a laser jammer device and the speed that the vehicle was travelling at, when it was on the M180, was above the speed limit. 

Humberside Police liaised with Hertfordshire Police who attended the home of the driver and checked the vehicle, which was found to have been fitted with the laser jamming device. The vehicle was seized and a full forensic investigation and recovery was performed by an engineer from Road Safety Support Limited who advised both police forces in the technical aspects of this device. The device was handed over to Humberside Police to be used in evidence. 

The driver of the vehicle was interviewed by Humberside Police and charged with Perverting the Course of justice. He pleaded guilty to this at court and was fined £1000 and £300 costs. 

PC Barry Gardner, Casualty Reduction Officer for Humberside Police said: "This was a thorough piece of joint working between Humberside Police, Hertfordshire Police and The Road Safety Support Limited, which enabled us to prosecute a driver for perverting the course of justice. 

"Expert evidence proved the driver was exceeding the speed limit and was using a device which had deliberately prevented the speed of the vehicle being measured by a police laser speedmeter. 

"The early recognition of the presence of the laser by the traffic officer came as a result of the training he had received in how to recognise the signs of these devices. The devices are relatively new in coming to the attention of the police it was necessary to establish effective teamwork between two police forces, the CPS and RSS Ltd to collect and evidence the unlawful use of the laser jamming device. 

"I would like to remind people that speed limits are on roads across the country, not to catch drivers out or to make money, they are there for a specific reason and by exceeding them you are putting the lives of yourself and other roads users at risk. 

"Anyone who is considering having one of these devices fitted, I would advise them to think again. This is the first incident of its kind, that I am aware of in the Humberside area and police will now be working to make sure that anyone who may have these fitted to their vehicles, is also brought to justice. 

http://www.humbersid...-a-laser-jammer

Has any Officer on here come across such a device? 

I had no idea these things exited! 

WD 

@Humberbeat

Police!! 

Edited by kenworthy, 22 February 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#2 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have one for sale on eBay!, whistle.

#3 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have one for sale on eBay!, whistle.

Will it fit into a Ford Ka?

#4 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,771 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Pointless on a KA.;)

#5 Bart

Bart

UKPoliceOnline Supreme Poster

• Banned
  • 6,130 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

They cant go faster than NSL anyway!! :raz:

#6 paul crawford

paul crawford

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

nobpdy see that rpisode of 5thgear a few years ago i think it was. apparently if memory serves me correctly that certain remote garage door opens block the gun radar.

the sensor fits to the front of the car above the liscence plate or on your dash and when you approach your garage the sender unit on it sends a signal to the reciever that you have fitted to your car and it automaticly receives the laser from garage and relays a signal back that opens your garage door to save you getting out your vehicle. but it also blocks radar guns so when a speed gun sends the laser signal the reciever unit if positioned correctly on your car receives the signal doesnt recognise it and sends a signal back to the gun that causes an error message.
they spoke to the police regardong this and they said itd be up to the force /officers to prove the person was doing this to obstruct the laser guns. but obviously if they dont have a garage or automatic opening garage /gate then theres proof to charge them .

#7 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• 596 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Pointless on a KA.;)

They cant go faster than NSL anyway!! :raz:

Bart i thought you were on my side.........................................Ha ha ha ha

:clapping:

#8 Emmerdale

Emmerdale

• Banned
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

The garage door openers, Lidatek and LT400 derivatives as well as the parking sensors, Laser Star and Laser Pro-Park have Hesse functions as cover stories for where. Possession or use of he devices is unlawful.

It is possible to design IR equipment to perform a garage door opener and a parking sensor in a way that will not interfere with police laser speedmeters. In fact it is difficult to make them interfere with laser speedmeters unless you make them do that deliberately. All laser jammers are programmed to look for laser speedmeters, when laser light is detected they analyse it and match it to laser speedmeter characteristics within a small database within the jamming device. The laser jammer is them made to simulate the laser speedmeter it has just encountered. Unless it does this it will not jam the laser speedmeter.

So you see, the parking sensor and garage door opening device story will fail because the device is set up to jam laser speedmeters and need not be set up to do so.

Humberside were advised throughout the investigation by forensic experts an other forces will be too.

You should note that vendors of these devices always use a disclaimer on their suggested cover stories. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out why.

#9 paul crawford

paul crawford

• Resident Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

The garage door openers, Lidatek and LT400 derivatives as well as the parking sensors, Laser Star and Laser Pro-Park have Hesse functions as cover stories for where. Possession or use of he devices is unlawful.

It is possible to design IR equipment to perform a garage door opener and a parking sensor in a way that will not interfere with police laser speedmeters. In fact it is difficult to make them interfere with laser speedmeters unless you make them do that deliberately. All laser jammers are programmed to look for laser speedmeters, when laser light is detected they analyse it and match it to laser speedmeter characteristics within a small database within the jamming device. The laser jammer is them made to simulate the laser speedmeter it has just encountered. Unless it does this it will not jam the laser speedmeter.

So you see, the parking sensor and garage door opening device story will fail because the device is set up to jam laser speedmeters and need not be set up to do so.

Humberside were advised throughout the investigation by forensic experts an other forces will be too.

You should note that vendors of these devices always use a disclaimer on their suggested cover stories. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out why.

Good to know,  I was just reading the topic and remembered an episode of im positive was 5th gear from about 2009 so just a little while ago and thought i would post what i remembered .

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users