7 replies to this topic

#1 WA Policeman

WA Policeman

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hello,

I was hoping for someone to give me some information about my issue.

I am currently a serving Police Officer in the Western Australia Police. My wife and I will be moving back to the UK in January 2014. I am an Australian citizen (and will have unrestricted rights in the UK) and my wife is British. I am hoping to join the British Police when we return.

I have done some research and understand that I will have to go through the recruitment process from the beginning. I can clearly see after many Google sessions that the British Police aren't screaming out for applicants as the Australian Police are, hence why I can't seem to find any information about Aussie Police transferring to the UK.

When we return in January I will have 3 years experience being a Police Officer (with a Diploma in Public Safety (Policing)) and an Associate Degree in Justice and Criminology. I have previously lived in the UK for about 3 years and have been advised by some Constabularies that my 3 years  experience in the WA Police may be enough to allow me to get in.

I was hoping that someone out there may have been in my position as some point and could tell me about their experience getting into the UK Police. Whenever I contact Constabularies I tend to get a copy and paste response about the recruitment process.

Any help in this issue would be agreat help.

Thank you fior your time.

Richard Clark.

#2 WA Policeman

WA Policeman

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Sorry, also wanted to know if my experience in the WA Police entitles me to any advanced standing, allowing me to complete the recruitment process and/ or probation faster.

Thanks.

#3 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Honest answer I dont know. 

What I think - Police forces should be fighting for your experience but the fact of the matter is the country is on the bones of its arse and common sense is lacking.  I dont think we have any schemes in the UK for aussie police transfoerring to the UK as you do over there for us.  shame.

#4 CanexTVP

CanexTVP

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Police Service (Officer)
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hi WA,

I can only give you my experience as to this predicament, I have been a Police officer for the last 15+ years, 7 years in Thames Valley and from 2004 to present 8+ years with Toronto Police in Canada. I have a varied background with experience in front line obviously as that is the most important job, then Ive carried out various deployments with investigative and finally Tactical.

Last year, my wife was very homesick and wished to return to the UK. I didnt want to but we do what ever we need to for family, I contacted numerous services in the UK and all of them stated I would have to bcome a new recruit, which was fine but were not recruiting and had no idea when it would open again.

One service checked my application email and resume and contacted me to complete a full transferee application, I did this, confirming with them a few times I had been out of a Home Office force for over 5 years, but they stated that was fine and requested me to continue the application, so I then spent a few thousand flying back to UK and completeing all required tests and interviews, after a few days I was informed that I had failed the vetting portion of the application!! They sent me a link to the home office rules and I read them numerous times, the only part is that I have been out over 5 years!! funny that after telling them over and over again! 

So after all of this, I was out of pocket by around $3500 and no explanation from anyone in recruitment as to real reson why! I believe that somebody made a huge mistake and continued my app, I would rather someone would cough up and admit their mistake, we are all human after all!

I also contacted my old service Thames Valley and was told that I would never be eligible as I dont have the required educational background!! i.e. 2 x A levels. Even though I served for 7 years with them, they would not recruit me as a Constable!! Dont care about experience etc.

Any way, thats my little bad story but dont let that stop you, recruitment will open again eventually, but just do the best in all testa, dont just pass, pass as high as you can, do not give them any reason to stop you from joining. Once in and able to speak to actual officers and senior officers, then your background will have meaning, unfortunately recruitment is mainly conducted by staff who just use the guidelines as a bible and all common sense leaves the process.

Met have been recruiting and Thames valley are at the moment, another one is SOCA or the new NCA. Check out the websites.

There are various webites which give you online links to all home office and non home offices services. Dont worry about my tales, just nice to have a rant now and again and explain it is not all plain sailing, and be prepared for idiocy beyond belief but you will get there eventually.

Best of luck sir and stay safe

#5 P365

P365

UKPOLICEONLINE New Member

• Resident Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Also be aware that most UK forces have a 3 year UK residency rule before you can apply to join the Police. You might be able to get around this with a Police Clearence certificate. I encountered this problem when I went to join.

#6 kernowmoose

kernowmoose

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hey WA, what are your thoughts on UK bobbies going over to WA? They are in the process of recruiting again and I keep turning the idea over in my head.

#7 DoubleG

DoubleG

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Baddies

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

I wouldn't mention that at your Met interview!

#8 kernowmoose

kernowmoose

I'm New !

• Resident Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Cheers for the advice

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users