•  

Photo

If you could carry an off-duty firearm....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#81 nigeltm

nigeltm

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi Nigeltm:

How would the firearm be carred: open or concealed.?

If carried concealed, how do you intend to carry it: belt hostler, IWB holster, shoulder, or ankle?

WIll you have other weapons available?

A firearm is a tool. Your selection is function oriented. Open carry allows you the ability to carry a full size handgun on a duty belt. But that may not work if you need to conceal the weapon. Also, do you intend to carry a back up (BUG) or not?

Will you be subject to military ROE or not? Some countries will not allow an individual to carry military calibers.

Hi GeorgeH

Not to take the thread further off topic I'll drop you a PM.

Hi everyone else,

This thread stared of as a hypothetical discussion that was intended to ignore British law.  It was to be a technical/practical discussion on what those familiar with firearms would carry, how and why.  I would have expected that anyone without experience of pistols would have stayed out of the discussion as they didn't have anything useful to contribute.  OK, the phrase "off-duty firearm" is an American term that doesn't apply to the UK as (other than NI) officers aren't allowed off-duty firearms.  Putting that aside, it was an honest attempt to stimulate a discussion.

On that basis it could have been interesting and useful to some of the members on here.  Instead the usual comments cropped up and derailed the thread.

Do the members who did this realise that you are bringing this forum down?  I've spoken to members who are reluctant to post on threads as they are afraid of having their contributions ridiculed.  Some have even considered leaving the forum.

You are stifling discussion and slowly killing this forum.

If you have something useful to contribute then go ahead and post.  If you don't just step away from the keyboard and let the grown-ups talk.

So for now I'm done on this thread and I'll think long and hard about posting on any other.

Nigel.

#82 Anna32

Anna32

UKPOLICEONLINE Master

• Power User (Lifetime)++
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

[alert]

Right. This thread is for hypothetical discussion about firearms and technical specs. It is an opportunity for people with an interest in the topic to compare experiences and opinions.  It is not, obviously, about British law or firearms policing. Granted it has a slight hobbyist leaning and one could argue that it's more appropriate for the Canteen. However, there are a number of UK firearms officers/ non UK officers on here, and they can bring their professional input to the topic as well. Obviously there won't be lots of hobby-leaning threads in here, but an occasional thread like this is fine. (Roads Policing sees its share of humorous videos, after all.)

Basically- it's light hearted, it stays, and nobody has to participate if they don't want to. If there is anything seriously offensive or off topic then flag it as usual, but do not set out to ruin something enjoyed by other members because it's not for you.

[/alert]

#83 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi Brat:

I admit that using the phrase "off duty" was a mistake. That is why I changed it to undercover. The purpose of my post was to stimulate a discussion of risk assessment and how you would deal with it. Firearms are used by every police service in the UK. Having police officers in harms way is not unheard of.

There is no right answer to my post. There are countless handgun ammo combinations. But what you select and why speaks volumes about your training, experience, and how you perceive risk. A person in a rural area would view the situation differently than an urban police officer.

#84 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,770 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

Back on topic, I think the Glock is too big, for every day carry. The little SIG, I chose, was a better weapon in these scenarios. In likely situations, you will have tenths of seconds, to deploy your weapon, and use it, at very short ranges. You will be firing and moving for cover, you won't be hanging around to admire your grouping. Firing a small weapon at your attacker, is better than nearly firing your big weapon, and paying the price.

#85 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,281 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I would definitely consider a walther ppk.

It seems pretty small, 17cm long but fires a reasonable round, enough for a good bang and run.

And its a bond gun, so thats good. Its easy to underestimate a little confidence boost like having a cool thing. 

#86 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,770 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Would go well with your Tux :)

#87 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,281 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

it might harm my undercover status. but i suppose being as suffocated as wot i iz i would be best placed infiltrating high society rather than drug dens. 

#88 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• 2,901 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Walther PPK (or variant) gets my vote if using for concealment.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users