• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grockel

Grockel

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?

#2 SimonT

SimonT

UKPoliceOnline Staff

• Moderators
  • 7,273 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

nope

#3 skycop

skycop

UKPOLICEONLINE Associate Member

• Resident Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

So, if a person went out, got drunk and ended up giving someone a smack, I agree he should be punished but I'm not sure chopping his conkers off is the right answer!

#4 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Suspended Pending Review
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

The purpose of prison is to reform criminals, however this is not always possible. Many criminals repeatedly break the law and are undeterred by the prospect of punishment. There are several factors believed to contribute to criminal behavior, one important factor being high testosterone levels. It has been proven that testosterone is linked to aggression, in 1990 James Dabbs studied 4,462 men and concluded that "the overall picture among the high-testosterone men is one of delinquency, substance abuse and a tendency toward excess." Even in women, Dabbs found high testosterone levels were related to crimes of unprovoked violence. Statistically men commit significantly more crimes than women, specifically violent crimes.

We know that castration can drastically alter an animals behavior, most notably by reducing sex drive and aggression. Not all aggression is caused by testosterone, however the University of California found that in 60% of dogs aggression could be treated with castration. Castration also causes sterility which, considering the inability of prisoners to raise their children, may be an added bonus.

Violent criminals destroy their lives and the lives of others, is society not morally obliged to save them from themselves via castration?

... are they not morally obliged to save themselves from destroying their lives and the lives of others?

#5 Narpo

Narpo

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Archaeology, history. reading, scuba diving, bushcraft/camping, etc, etc.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Errr, no!

#6 Sub-seven

Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Suspended Pending Review
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Why not?

#7 meditate

meditate

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• Senior Resident Members
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

To my knowledge there is no consensus in the scientific community that this is the case. Plenty of studies indicate other reasons other than testosterone. To highlight my point how do we explain the growth in social violence of women with their Ladette behaviour on a Friday night? - perhaps we should pull their ovaries out to lower their oestrogen?

#8 Fritz@Customs

Fritz@Customs

UKPOLICEONLINE Full Member

• Resident Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

If you take the view that testosterone is the cause of such violent crime, what equivalent punishment would you apply to deprive violent women of their surplus testosterone?

Castration is clearly a gender-biased punishment and would probably end up being unlawful from an equality standpoint :innocent: , even if our politicians were daft enough to think that Eugenics was any more sensible now that it was in the 1920's and 30's and introduced such measures.

I'd also like to see the proposals for reattaching any testicles returned on appeal  :w00t:

#9 GeorgeH

GeorgeH

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Nice idea, but in the US several jurisdictions tried voluntary castration for sex offenders. If they volunteered to have their family jewels chopped off, they would get early release. But guess what: it didn't work. They adapted to their limitations and came up with new ways to commit similar crimes.

#10 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

So, if a person went out, got drunk and ended up giving someone a smack, I agree he should be punished but I'm not sure chopping his conkers off is the right answer!

Conkers.....................never heard that before :)

You are funny

:clapping:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users