Sub-seven

UKPOLICEONLINE Icon

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

http://www.telegraph...ce-reforms.html

Most officers 'considering leaving' in wake of police reforms

Most rank-and-file officers are considering leaving the service in the wake of the most radical reforms of policing in more than 30 years, a survey has showed.

tom-windsor_2492465b.jpg

Wide-ranging changes to force pay, conditions and recruitment under a controversial review by Tom Winsor, now the Chief Inspector of Constabulary, have left officers facing uncertainty over their future, researchers found.

More than half (51%) of the officers surveyed said they “would consider looking for alternative employment” and 95% said they had no confidence in the long-term government plans for the police.

Some 1,400 officers from the Avon and Somerset force were polled by researchers from the University of the West of England (UWE) before work begins on a national survey of the challenges faced by members of the 43 forces across England and Wales.

Dr James Hoggett, who is leading the research, said: “The study showed that proposed changes and those currently being implemented are causing significant levels of uncertainty and concern amongst officers on the ground.

“Officers clearly accept the need for change, but believe it should be without political interference and should involve the police service itself.”

He added: “For the vast majority, being a police officer is a fundamental part of their self-concept - who they are - and they are therefore willing to make sacrifices

to be police officers.”

But force budget cuts along with changes to pensions, retirement age and privatisation were all “threatening this perceived concept of goodwill” in which officers make

personal sacrifices and work beyond what is required of them, the study commissioned by the Police Federation’s constables central committee warned.

Among other policing reforms being ushered through by the Home Office are plans to cut annual pay for new police constables by £4,000 to £19,000.

A fast-track scheme aimed at both university graduates and serving officers will allow constables to rise to the rank of inspector in just three years, while foreign candidates

will be able to apply for chief constable roles for the first time.

#2 SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thats about right. I have certainly considered it. Both leaving now and leaving in the future. 

It has been confirmed by management that there will be no promotions from within the police for anyone who is not on the higher potential development scheme, which sees only about 5 per force (i think) 

So my career earnings are about to top out and as i will be stuck as PC for the rest of my service, which is much longer now. So i have to consider, will i be able to make enough to support my family. 

There are no courses or other training or positions that i can take that will increase my wages to any real degree and i cant get promoted. So i may well  need to retrain to do something else that might pay more, taking my experience away from the police.

But i suppose thats what they want. High turnover of experienced officers who cost money. They didnt want to give us 5 year contracts, so they just made sure that we couldnt be in for a career. 

#3 scousejon

scousejon

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Senior Resident Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

yeh, i have considered it.  not toleave in immediate future but I have been "looking around"

#4 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

What a shame, i think the Police need experienced offers to hand down their wealth of experience and knowledge to the new constables.

Its a shame that experienced officers do not seem to be valued now with all the Police reforms.

#5 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

The trouble is, experienced coppers are not cheap. I cost the same as two recruits. Mind you, I am well worth it!. ;)

#6 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy walking my dogs, meeting up with friends, travelling and dining out.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

The trouble is, experienced coppers are not cheap. I cost the same as two recruits. Mind you, I am well worth it!. ;)

Gripper i think you are worth ten times the cost of new officers.......................awwww bless

lol

:hug:

#7 gripper

gripper

UKPOLICEONLINE Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Monkey hanging!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Thanks.........I've told you before not to come on here.......mummy ;)

#8 Poolcue

Poolcue

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• Resident Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:Field Testing, Writing, Triathlon, X training, Social Media marketing.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I think about leaving every single shift to be fair. The job provides an element of security, a lot more so than others out there. I think about how tired I am going to be after 35 years of shift work and it frightens me. It's what I signed up for though.

#9 dolly1966

dolly1966

UKPOLICEONLINE Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks.........I've told you before not to come on here.......mummy ;)

Son you know that mummy is always right.

make sure you wash behind your ears every day and always wear clean underpants incase your in an accident,

lol

#10 Ollz

Ollz

I'm New !

• Newbie Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

The pay to one side; do most officers still enjoy the work?

#11 SimonT

SimonT

-

• Account Closed
  • 7,290 posts
  • Interests:police, climbing

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have had a couple of cases in the last few months that made me glad i was a police officer.

Dealing with a very vulnerable lady who had had her purse snatched, then managing to chase down and catch the thief was great. Helping an ex serviceman who was in need of serious mental health help get it was satisfying. Attending an elderly lady who's husband had literally passed away an hour before and was still on the couch and being able to help her through the coroners process without being too much of an imposition was also good.

But generally, its the same old pointless dross from the same old pointless flesh bags, a never ending cycle of infinite stupidity. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users