Leeanne Lowe

blackmail query regarding ex partner

Hi

my ex partner is threatening me that if i see my children when he has them he will move them away / not allow contact / not allow communication via phone calls / call the police. This is all documented in text messages. Is this blackmail. This last situation occurred on a day when they were starting their first day at school for the year and he had contact on that day. Is this a form of blackmail? I live in Scotland. This has been an ongoing situation and the boys have been used in this manner on at least a monthly basis. He has hit me in the past and police were called on a number of occasions. A few weeks ago, we also had an argument where i got frustrated and upset and he phoned the police a day later saying I had hit him on the back of the head as he got back into his car. This did not occur and I have a witness to confirm this, however, he is also pursuing this with the courts and I even face a criminal charge now for something that did not occur. He is making my life a living hell on a weekly basis and I am scared of daring to do anything due to his behaviour and emotional blackmail using my children.

Please could you advise if this is something I can report him / go to the police about and consider charging him with. I really can not cope with any more of it.

Kindest

Best advice is to speak to someone from the local police domestic violence unit and/or a solicitor.

Although this is a police related forum not all members are police officers and those that are may not all have the correct knowledge or experience. You could get incorrect/bad, even if well intentioned advice.

Blackmail.

(1) A person is guilty of blackmail if, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, he makes any unwarranted demand with menaces; and for this purpose a demand with menaces is unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief—

(a)that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand; and

(b)that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand.

Under the definition of blackmail, he is not making any unwarranted demand with menaces.

As per the last post, seek advice from the local DV department or a family law solicitor.

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. The forum disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - any documents available for download. Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.