Sign in to follow this  
Camofdean

What chances do I have in his self defence case

Hi all,

Almost a year ago I was attacked by my ex partner, she came at me with a knife, slashed my face, missed my neck, I dodged a gut stab then got stabbed 4 more more times on the leg, I was trying to escape but I was cornered with a knife in my leg, I grabbed the closest thing I could of the bunker and struck her with it, this object was a hammer as I had been renovating the house.

I remember as I picked it up worrying about killing her (sounds daft but I am no killer) as I knew this hammer could easily kill her, I managed to tap her head with it but it did not use full force, this indeed saved my life.

I am not a person who understands the law at all and I watch no TV programmes based on law either, I phoned the police and got help as she fled, I told the police what happened on arrival.

When I was taken to the police station I did not wait for my lawyer (apparently it's wrong to tell the CID the truth?) as I felt I had done nothing wrong.

Now I am in court for the assault as she has denied the attack, and I have admitted striking her with a hammer, albeit in self defence.

If I prove my innocence, will she be charged ?

And what chances do I have of not getting jail for defending my life?

You don't have to prove your innocence, they have to prove (beyond all reasonable doubt) that you were guilty.

Hi all,

Almost a year ago I was attacked by my ex partner, she came at me with a knife, slashed my face, missed my neck, I dodged a gut stab then got stabbed 4 more more times on the leg, I was trying to escape but I was cornered with a knife in my leg, I grabbed the closest thing I could of the bunker and struck her with it, this object was a hammer as I had been renovating the house.

I remember as I picked it up worrying about killing her (sounds daft but I am no killer) as I knew this hammer could easily kill her, I managed to tap her head with it but it did not use full force, this indeed saved my life.

I am not a person who understands the law at all and I watch no TV programmes based on law either, I phoned the police and got help as she fled, I told the police what happened on arrival.

When I was taken to the police station I did not wait for my lawyer (apparently it's wrong to tell the CID the truth?) as I felt I had done nothing wrong.

Now I am in court for the assault as she has denied the attack, and I have admitted striking her with a hammer, albeit in self defence.

If I prove my innocence, will she be charged ?

And what chances do I have of not getting jail for defending my life?

You need to get yourself a Solicitor. It's entirely pointless you coming on here asking what your chances are. The fact is, in law, you are perfectly entitled to defend yourself. Now, if I've got this right though - she had attacked you with a knife, slashed your face and stabbed you multiple times in the leg? You hit her, once, with a hammer to defend yourself? And you've been charged with assaulting her? Sorry fella, call me cynical, but I would say some of the detail is seriously lacking here. There's more to this. But please save that detail for the courts. The reality is, you need a good Solicitor rather than seeking advice on-line.

• Like 2