89KO

Durham or Cleveland PC Recruitment

89KO    0

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well.

I was wondering if anyone knows when Durham or Cleveland would be recruiting next for regular PCs.

I have previously applied for Northumbria and passed all stages but then was notified 10 days before I was supposed to start training that I failed my vetting.

I've spoke with Durham and Cleveland's vetting unit and it seems more hopeful that I would pass vetting with them.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm wondering the same thing.... I do know that Cleveland have just appointed 24 who started their training this week, I wouldn't expect anything now until early next year when both Cleveland and Durham will have a better understanding of the financial implications through cuts etc. Cleveland did have in their plan to recruit uptil 2017 so there may be something hopefully next year.

89KO    0

I'm wondering the same thing.... I do know that Cleveland have just appointed 24 who started their training this week, I wouldn't expect anything now until early next year when both Cleveland and Durham will have a better understanding of the financial implications through cuts etc. Cleveland did have in their plan to recruit uptil 2017 so there may be something hopefully next year.

Yeah everything seems to be up in the air due to further budget cuts. My assessment score expires end of January and was hoping that at least Durham would recruit by January so I could transfer my score rather than having to do the whole process again.

Snap, my assessment score expires in January also (from Durham), Cleveland wouldn't let me transfer it :sad: , and as I'd just gone through process with Durham and 6 months hadn't expired I couldn't apply to them.

The whole six month thing is annoying.... the two forces that have recruited this year (that are not totally down south) have both stated that they would accept assessment scores but these had to be less than 6 months old.... but then you are not allowed to apply to another force until 6 months have passed, where is the logic in that :huh2:

89KO    0

Snap, my assessment score expires in January also (from Durham), Cleveland wouldn't let me transfer it :sad: , and as I'd just gone through process with Durham and 6 months hadn't expired I couldn't apply to them.

The whole six month thing is annoying.... the two forces that have recruited this year (that are not totally down south) have both stated that they would accept assessment scores but these had to be less than 6 months old.... but then you are not allowed to apply to another force until 6 months have passed, where is the logic in that :huh2:

Durham are currently recruiting

Zad86    5

Spoke to Durham HR and they didn't think me staying in Northumbria's pool whilst also applying would be a problem for them (presumably because I already have a search pass so they wouldn't have wasted any money sending me to a search centre if I ended up withdrawing) but I don't know how Northumbria would feel?

Do they need to even know? They've already spent money on me, but Durham won't be starting anyone until at least June, if Northumbria haven't given me a start date by then, they aren't going to and if they give me one before then I would of course withdraw from Durham.

Having an application with both seems a no brainer, but I wouldn't want to jeopardise my position with Northumbria... I just wish I had more confidence in where I stood, patience isn't the issue, uncertainty is.

I wouldn't put an application in for Durham if I thought I was wasting chunks of their time so I told them my situation but they seemed to be fine with sifting me with a pending position elsewhere.

Second guessing Northumbria is the hard part.

89KO    0

Spoke to Durham HR and they didn't think me staying in Northumbria's pool whilst also applying would be a problem for them (presumably because I already have a search pass so they wouldn't have wasted any money sending me to a search centre if I ended up withdrawing) but I don't know how Northumbria would feel?

Do they need to even know? They've already spent money on me, but Durham won't be starting anyone until at least June, if Northumbria haven't given me a start date by then, they aren't going to and if they give me one before then I would of course withdraw from Durham.

Having an application with both seems a no brainer, but I wouldn't want to jeopardise my position with Northumbria... I just wish I had more confidence in where I stood, patience isn't the issue, uncertainty is.

I wouldn't put an application in for Durham if I thought I was wasting chunks of their time so I told them my situation but they seemed to be fine with sifting me with a pending position elsewhere.

You already passed for Northumbria and have your vetting clearance. Unfortunately for me I failed vetting for Northumbria. If I was in your position, I would consider travelling distance and my preference of where I would prefer to be based.

Northumbria will eventually recruit and then you would get first pick of training but it's the case of a waiting game, so it all boils down to preference.

Zad86    5

I can't see any reason my vetting won't clear, but it hasn't yet mate. I think HR said it's frozen too.

You're probably right and I would hope so, I've previously applied for Tyne and Wear fire and rescue and ended up in a very similar situation before it all fell through, so whilst I should have every reason to be optimistic - once bitten, twice shy comes to mind ;)

89KO    0

I can't see any reason my vetting won't clear, but it hasn't yet mate. I think HR said it's frozen too.

You're probably right and I would hope so, I've previously applied for Tyne and Wear fire and rescue and ended up in a very similar situation before it all fell through, so whilst I should have every reason to be optimistic - once bitten, twice shy comes to mind ;)

Yeah I applied for TW Fire back in 2008 and they haven't recruited since as far as I am aware.

It is a tough one as Police recruitment can be tricky and quite seldom due to budget cuts.

If you do apply for Durham and you are successful and follow it through then transferring back to Northumbria at a later date will be hard as its quite rare for them to open up transferees.

You have to make your decision quick though as Durham are only accepting first 600 applications.

chhay    8

I wouldn't bother telling them, I have done the same too, but with a different force. Why risk cancelling an app with how risky Police Officer job roles are due to budgeting etc. Just transfer an see how it goes. It's a no brainer as you said. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honesty and Integrety, these are things you will be tested on, if you fail to disclose anything then really you have failed to demonstrate these qualities!!! If Durham are happy for you to submit an application then do so, I think the issue will be if you pass the sift, it would be then at this point I believe you would have to chose which force you wish to continue with and withdraw your application from the other.

Zad86    5

That's also what I've been thinking.

I would want everything to be above board, I rang Northumbria and they would want me to withdraw to even apply, I didn't give my name,not that I think it would have mattered.

I applied for the fire service once in 2006/7 (passed everything, no intakes) and again in 2008, the application form was identical, I gave identical answers and they FAILED it... I should be 100% confident that I'd pass Durham's paper sift,but I've learned not to be!

Unless I'm going to be dishonest, the sensible thing seems to be to stay put. Northumbria aren't giving me enough info to confirm that they are a lost cause or not, but Durham's final interview could be too much of a risk and there's nothing to say that I won't get stuck in limbo there either.

Bit of a sickner :/

chhay    8

I would want everything to be above board, I rang Northumbria and they would want me to withdraw to even apply, I didn't give my name,not that I think it would have mattered.

I applied for the fire service once in 2006/7 (passed everything, no intakes) and again in 2008, the application form was identical, I gave identical answers and they FAILED it... I should be 100% confident that I'd pass Durham's paper sift,but I've learned not to be!

Unless I'm going to be dishonest, the sensible thing seems to be to stay put. Northumbria aren't giving me enough info to confirm that they are a lost cause or not, but Durham's final interview could be too much of a risk and there's nothing to say that I won't get stuck in limbo there either.

It's a hard situation. I have told them an they were fine with it. I have taken the risk, but after all the waiting if intakes are going to be available in 2016, I have been honest and have now cut my losses. There is no confirmation as to when they are going to recruit so I have transferred to a force with stable intakes next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89KO    0

If Northumbria is what your heart is set on and there is no expiry date to being on the pool then I would stick by Northumbria and wait, if I was in your position.

After all your main concern is uncertainty, rather than patience.

Zad86    5

Even if patience was an issue, Durham have said they are planning their intake for June :)

89KO    0

Even if patience was an issue, Durham have said they are planning their intake for June :)

Well good luck in whatever you decide to do mate.

I hope I can pass the papersift then start the prep for final interview and then can finally pass vetting.

I wonder if the questions would be in a similar context to what Northumbria asked.

89KO did you speak to Durham about your assessment score? and did they clarify that if you pass paper sift you would get to go straight to final interview? just when I asked about using my current valid score the lady on the phone just said to enclose proof of the score in with the application so that they can see I've already done it, didn't say for certain that I would go straight to final interview, of course after hopefully passing the paper sift

89KO    0

89KO did you speak to Durham about your assessment score? and did they clarify that if you pass paper sift you would get to go straight to final interview? just when I asked about using my current valid score the lady on the phone just said to enclose proof of the score in with the application so that they can see I've already done it, didn't say for certain that I would go straight to final interview, of course after hopefully passing the paper sift

I didn't ask the question but I'm guessing that would be the case because they accept transferred scores, providing they are within a 12 month period and over 50%

89KO    0

Deadline has now passed. Has anyone put in for Durham?

89KO    0

Yeah, I gave it a try, did you?

Yeah mate, have nothing to lose and hoping if I pass that I don't have any issues with vetting.

Hi guys, I see on the force website it says that they received 600 applications and that we should hear something fairly soon with regards to whether we have passed the sift.... :w00t: fingers crossed everyone...

Zad86    5

I would expect to hear something AFTER the 25th of November and the financial review.

I don't know if you've been keeping up with the police funding formula fiasco, but it's been farcical...

Durham went from being slightly better off under the new proposals, to losing 200 officers under the revised one, to god knows what based on the 'rerevised' proposals. All of which are based off old data.

I'm hoping that they leave it alone this year and actually do it with some level competency...

Edited by Zad86

I hear what you say Zad, and I know under the revised allocation Durham are worse off, but I'm not worried as the fact they put a statement on the homepage after the statement about the cuts to me shows they are still committed to taking on the new recruits as planned, I hope I'm not proved wrong....