Danny2016

New Probationer Concerns

31 posts in this topic

Couple of years....

1 person likes this

Wow, and I thought I was having a bad time (I'm a probie as well, but don't want to mention which force I'm in). I mean I haven't started for that long but I've definitely been feeling that the training I've been getting isn't really enough for me to handle certain situations, especially some of the relatively rarer ones. My supervisors/mentors don't seem to be as bad as yours, but they defo seem pissed off when they have to answer my questions, or just sigh and say something like 'don't worry about this' or 'you'll get the hang of it soon enough'. How am I supposed to know what to do when I don't even know the reasoning behind it?! I mean I don't expect to have complete knowledge of everything that we do/might have to do within such a short period of time, but surely it isn't too much to ask for to have basic things explained to me?

Also, as you said, the supervisors seem to expect you to know things even if they haven't taught it to you properly. I don't want to put all the blame on them as I realise that it's ultimately my responsibility to learn and that they're probably stressed as well, but they could at least not have a go at me for doing something slightly wrong.

Sorry for all the whinging, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity when I saw this thread, and realising that I'm not the only one with these problems!

Wow, and I thought I was having a bad time (I'm a probie as well, but don't want to mention which force I'm in). I mean I haven't started for that long but I've definitely been feeling that the training I've been getting isn't really enough for me to handle certain situations, especially some of the relatively rarer ones. My supervisors/mentors don't seem to be as bad as yours, but they defo seem pissed off when they have to answer my questions, or just sigh and say something like 'don't worry about this' or 'you'll get the hang of it soon enough'. How am I supposed to know what to do when I don't even know the reasoning behind it?! I mean I don't expect to have complete knowledge of everything that we do/might have to do within such a short period of time, but surely it isn't too much to ask for to have basic things explained to me?

Also, as you said, the supervisors seem to expect you to know things even if they haven't taught it to you properly. I don't want to put all the blame on them as I realise that it's ultimately my responsibility to learn and that they're probably stressed as well, but they could at least not have a go at me for doing something slightly wrong.

Sorry for all the whinging, but I couldn't pass on the opportunity when I saw this thread, and realising that I'm not the only one with these problems!

What's wrong with saying what force you're with? You are paid from a public funded organisation. If you feel that the training is not good enough, or the supervision isn't great, you should raise your concerns with higher level management who could actually make a difference to help you and others like you. Nothing happens from not stating any information like this.

What's wrong with saying what force you're with? You are paid from a public funded organisation. If you feel that the training is not good enough, or the supervision isn't great, you should raise your concerns with higher level management who could actually make a difference to help you and others like you. Nothing happens from not stating any information like this.

I just thought it wouldn't be so good to 'name and shame' my force, as it were, and thought that it might be against the rules of this forum to publicly say something negative/potentially harmful about your own force. It shares a name with the agency that does weather forecasting, by the way, and you can probably figure out which one it is.

A little bit old this thread now but I thought I'd share my experiences of being in 2 different forces as a probationer:

MDP

Awful. Truly awful. Anyone above Inspector didn't give a toss and it was rare an Inspector cared (I had a great Inspector on my section so I got lucky). From the moment I left training to the moment I left the force I couldn't wait to get out. There was no backing for any aspirations you may have and absolutely no empathy or consideration given to officers who were struggling as I was due to personal circumstances. All they cared about was that you were on your gate.

Cheshire

I joined quite recently and I have to admit I have loved every single second of it. I was in training for a short period due to having the policing degree and previous long term Special experience. There were a few minor teething issues when I left the training school such as various computer systems not being updated but they were ironed out quickly. The support network available is absolutely superb, the backing and help I've received from supervision up to the ACC was outstanding. They introduced themselves and spoke to me like a person and not just as a number. Obviously I respected rank, but it felt like a conversation with a friend.

The people on my block are brilliant and will drop anything to help you out and this prevelant amongst my block. We have a block of over half probationers but it's a well run, well oiled block with a wealth of knowledge and experience behind it.

Going back to the original post I genuinely can't believe you've were set arrest records. Surely this goes against PACE? I can partly understand detection rates but if you're given a job which is going nowhere commonly what are you supposed to do? Gene Hunt it and pin it on someone?

I do hope in the 12/13 months or so that have passed since this post that it has improved for you and you're still in the job.

1 person likes this

Danny2016, 

Are you still with your force? I am rather concerned to hear that you have been treated that way. I am hoping probationers are not treated like that generally. I am joining the MET POLICE this month. Are Action Plans like PIPS (Performance Improvement Plans) where you get dismissed if you don't pass it? I am guessing they can dismiss you for the slightest mistake as you are in your probation period. 

Hope things improve for you,

Drew