valerie

Vetting "Criminal" parent

5 posts in this topic

I am stressed about vetting, in 2015 my mother was charged for assault and made to pay a fine. This single incident is the only criminality in my/ my family's history. I live with her currently but would be relocating to another county and living away from her if I was successfully appointed. 

Has anyone got any experience either themselves, a friend etc. that has a similar issue but has passed vetting? 

From the info Avon and Somerset put online this shouldn't necessarily be an issue. I have however seen a lot of people say on here and elsewhere that they have failed vetting and believe it to be because of x,y,z family member who was arrested for x,y,z however many moons ago. In my opinion, their relations offences which they attribute to their failed vetting, are minor. 

Do they look into the situational details of any recorded offences or is it very black and white? My mum had just been to the funeral of a close friend who had a drawn out illness, was very drunk and has bad mental health, all of which was considered when her case was dealt with in court and she was treated as if it was ridiculous she was there.

Thanks everyone.

On 16/01/2017 at 6:43 PM, valerie said:

I am stressed about vetting, in 2015 my mother was charged for assault and made to pay a fine. This single incident is the only criminality in my/ my family's history. I live with her currently but would be relocating to another county and living away from her if I was successfully appointed. 

Has anyone got any experience either themselves, a friend etc. that has a similar issue but has passed vetting? 

From the info Avon and Somerset put online this shouldn't necessarily be an issue. I have however seen a lot of people say on here and elsewhere that they have failed vetting and believe it to be because of x,y,z family member who was arrested for x,y,z however many moons ago. In my opinion, their relations offences which they attribute to their failed vetting, are minor. 

Do they look into the situational details of any recorded offences or is it very black and white? My mum had just been to the funeral of a close friend who had a drawn out illness, was very drunk and has bad mental health, all of which was considered when her case was dealt with in court and she was treated as if it was ridiculous she was there.

Thanks everyone.

I can't answer your question as such but I will say that forces vary when it comes to things like this in vetting.

I'd sincerely hope that the full facts, as you've alluded to, are taken into account and that there are no previous convictions (don't concern yourself with any speeding tickets).

I don't want to give you false hope but I'd like to think you'd be ok. If I remember correctly some of the family vetting issues posted on here were due to a string of convictions.

i wish you the very best of luck with your application.

I initially failed vetting, with similar family circumstances to yours, but won on appeal. The issue comes in that if there is more than one potential 'issue' it is a struggle to know which one is the problem as they can't tell you! It makes it difficult to write an appeal.

We are happy for this topic to continue providing you read and understand the below.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. The forum disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - any documents available for download.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Having worked with someone who used to work in a Force Vetting role at PSD (not ASP though), my knowledge is if it's organised or persistent crime and you live at the same address it's a flat no. If it's a one off and it's not you, and it's declared and explained (without an opinion, i.e. 'She didn't do it but was found guilty') they can assess it. Unfortunately if you failed because of it they cannot tell you why!