mozza28

Police medical and one off case of anxiety

mozza28    2

Hello all,

I am currently in the final stages of the recruitment process (Police Constable) and have my medical booked in October. I have a slight concern as back in April 2015 my doctor diagnosed me with Anxiety and prescribed some meds. Now the cause of all this was a new job i'd started that wasn't working out.

Job was not what I expected, unrealistic targets, I received very little training and even got to the point where my manager would ask me to do things and then have a go at me for doing them and deny she'd asked me in the first place. Also employer kept dropping hints I wasn't going to pass my probation and I started to worry about supporting my family (just had my first child in the March).

Instead of doing the clever thing and just leaving I kept trying to make it work and ended up going off ill and going to see my doctor, who said I had anxiety due to work related stress. That very same day I rang up my employer and resigned, which made me feel instantly better. I only took the meds for 2 days and then threw them in the bin, as I felt I didn't need them.

I started a new job 2 months later and have been there ever since. This is an isolated incident and it never happened before, or since. I am used to handling confrontation as I worked at the Jobcentre for 5 years and my current job is working with disadvantaged teenagers, in a target driven environment. The route of the anxiety in this case was the worry of not being financially stable if I lost/left the job and the frustration of how I was being treated by the employer.

I suppose what i'm after is reassurance from others, that have had minor bouts of anxiety/stress, and who have been successful at their medical. I will obviously be declaring it on my form and will just have to explain the above reasons to the medical examiner and hope he sees it as what it was.

Anyone got any advice or reassurance for me :)?

Chalky1989    8

Just explain everything, any issues that you've had, be honest, but make sure you explain the aftermath, that it's all fine now, the reasons for it. Could possibly be worth speaking to your doctor now and having it clearly stated on your medical records that they believe it is no longer an issue. Then the force doctor can see it in your record. 

I've had a few things in the past which were brought up in the medical, which I explained how they were dealt with, no longer an issue, and the force doctor accepted it and passed me. 

For me it was knee problems about 4-5 years ago which have disappeared, a head injury and fainting episode about 12 years ago (literally never happened again since, was just a one off). Also had some dry skin issues which were dealt with and were most likely due to liquid chalk I used at the gym, treated it and used a different brand. All no longer issues and clearly so, explained clearly and honestly on the medical forms, backed up by medical records, and it was fine. 

mozza28    2
16 hours ago, Chalky1989 said:

Just explain everything, any issues that you've had, be honest, but make sure you explain the aftermath, that it's all fine now, the reasons for it. Could possibly be worth speaking to your doctor now and having it clearly stated on your medical records that they believe it is no longer an issue. Then the force doctor can see it in your record. 

I've had a few things in the past which were brought up in the medical, which I explained how they were dealt with, no longer an issue, and the force doctor accepted it and passed me. 

For me it was knee problems about 4-5 years ago which have disappeared, a head injury and fainting episode about 12 years ago (literally never happened again since, was just a one off). Also had some dry skin issues which were dealt with and were most likely due to liquid chalk I used at the gym, treated it and used a different brand. All no longer issues and clearly so, explained clearly and honestly on the medical forms, backed up by medical records, and it was fine. 

Thanks for the advice, I think I will get an appointment booked and go see my GP to discuss the issue and hopefully he will be able to see it is no longer an  issue and state as much on my record.

It is quite frustrating as I had a medical with a different force back in 2012 and sailed through it, however that was before the anxiety was on my record. My application was then rejected for other reasons, which hopefully should no longer be an issue this time.

gabby6    0

I had my medical in August and in May 2016 I had an episode of depression. I was off work for 6 weeks and prescribed medication which I only took for about a week as I knew it wasn't the right thing for me. They seemed slightly concerned but I explained that it was due to tough personal circumstances and that I needed to make some life changes (part of the reason I'm now seeking a police career) and that I've been well for over a year now. My doctor said it's really common to experience episodes of depression in a lifetime and around 70% of people experience it, they just don't talk about it. It's different if it's something severe like paranoia or schizophrenia but depression is really common. Just reassure them that you've come along way and highlight the positives since you had it. Also explain that it was circumstantial, you can't help that and your resulting depression from what you experienced is normal. It is nerve-wracking but I think you'll be ok.

Edited by gabby6

mozza28    2

Thanks for the reply Gabby, thats very reassuring. Saw my GP today to get the form checked and signed, he didn't even mention the anxiety (i have declared it on the form and provided an explanation) and signed to say everything looks good and he can't see an issue with anything. Got force medical on Monday so here's hoping all goes well.

Edited by mozza28

mozza28    2

Well it all seemed to go fine. Passed all the eyesight, hearing etc. When reading through the form the lady I saw said it should all be fine, as the anxiety was over 2 years ago, quite minor (no counselling, or long period of meds) and a reasonable reaction to the circumstances. I didn't see the force doctor which surprised me though, the occupational health lady said everything should be fine but if the force doctor has an issue he will get in contact with me. Basically if I don't hear from the force doctor everything is fine, if I do then it is not. Everything seemed really positive though so I'm not overly concerned.

Edited by mozza28