PaulsR

Door supervisor use of handcuffs

I would i like to say that I have a licence but still like advice on handcuffs i look after property a lot and like to night i had a problem with a MOP coming close to the building and then on to it looking in Windows then looking if he tryed out would i be in the rong if he went for me and i put cuffs on him to stop him harming him and me would i be countable in a court of law

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending. [*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules. [*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team UKPoliceOnline

Is not illegal to carry cuffs in most circumstances. Nor would it be illegal to use them proportionately, however I’d advise against doing so. A minor mistake could leave you open to criminal and civil liability.

Ok, I'm not entirely sure what you're going on about, because full stops seem to be banned in your country/timeline. But if you're asking if you can carry handcuffs; the answer is yes.

On 22/11/2017 at 09:01, SEA said:

Ok, I'm not entirely sure what you're going on about, because full stops seem to be banned in your country/timeline. But if you're asking if you can carry handcuffs; the answer is yes.

Did you really join just to post that?

Yes you can lawfully carry them but you leave yourself open for civil action and/or you may even commit offences using them. If you're having to ask whether or not you can put cuffs on someone on a forum then I would suggest you need to do a lot more reading into when you can and can't detain someone and what level of force you can use in what circumstances etc. 

As a currently employed door supervisor in Scotland I will give you some advice on this from my own experience and research.

First off, legally yes you can carry handcuffs, using them is a whole other ball game. You should have attended a training course in their use plus yearly refresher training, if you use them you have to ensure that it is proportionate, reasonable and justifiable. What is your endgame with this member of the public? To handcuff him, walk him off the site (if he even entered) and release him? Handcuff him just for looking into the site as a way of telling him to stay away or to handcuff him to a pole so you can keep an eye on him all night? All of those would be a one way ticket to an assault charge at the minimum.

If he assaulted you and you used reasonable force to restrain him while waiting on the police to ensure your own safety, in theory you could use handcuffs but it wouldn't necessarily be justifiable in every situation. If you were rolling about on the floor with him in a rural area where the police could be a while and he was exceptionally violent then absolutely it would be justifiable to use mechanical restraints as it is safer for both you and the person being restrained. 

As well as training and their appropriate use, you also have to make sure that your company and the client agree to you carrying them, if they say no and you do it anyway it's not a legal issue but it would be a sackable offence. If they say yes then fire in, however that brings me on to this point.

Insurance should also be very thoroughly checked, if your public liability insurance doesn't cover the use of handcuffs then should you apply them in the wrong situation, apply them too tightly or even apply pain using speedcuffs and the person is then found not guilty you can bet they'll attempt to take civil action, now while the court couldn't prove them guilty beyond reasonable doubt, the civil suit will be far less lenient and is based on the balance of probability so you could end up in a pretty bad place.

Finally the type of cuffs you use is also an issue. Speedcuffs are designed to be used in pain compliance, ultimately that's against the physical intervention training set out by the SIA (as terrible as the training is) and as it's used to cause pain some may say it's an offensive weapon, I will leave that their as I'm sure that'll cause a whole other discussion!

Overall while you may wish to carry them, I'd personally say don't bother, having done sites, events, pubs, clubs, and corporate I can only think of 2 occasions in 4 years when using them would have made a huge difference to a situation and that's really not worth it.

• Thanks 1