Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

LucyOshea

Please don't hate me.....

Hey everyone,

I thought I had better start a new topic just to let you all know what I have learnt today from West Midlands. It's not great news I'm afraid but I will strive to find some positive...somewhere. As I mentioned in another topic, I sent off a formal letter on the 23rd Feb to the big cheese of recruitment asking him to review my file as I applied in late 2007 and thought it was dragging on a bit (like everyone else I'm sure). I have completed all stages doing my fitness test on one of the last days of August 2009. Well today I received a letter in the post from his PA. Not what I wanted!!!....

It said that they had hoped to have given me a start date by now, January 2010 roughly but now with reductions and cut backs etc the EARLIEST I can expect a start date if February 2011!!!!!!!! This has shocked me completely. It's as though the application process has taken a whole 12 month set back. I do not hope to cause people distress or anything like that from this post, I just know if it were me I'd like to keep up to date with everyones information. Every little helps as the supermarket says :)

Well chins up everybody, at least it's definately not a "sorry but no thanks" letter.

Hey everyone,

I thought I had better start a new topic just to let you all know what I have learnt today from West Midlands. It's not great news I'm afraid but I will strive to find some positive...somewhere. As I mentioned in another topic, I sent off a formal letter on the 23rd Feb to the big cheese of recruitment asking him to review my file as I applied in late 2007 and thought it was dragging on a bit (like everyone else I'm sure). I have completed all stages doing my fitness test on one of the last days of August 2009. Well today I received a letter in the post from his PA. Not what I wanted!!!....

It said that they had hoped to have given me a start date by now, January 2010 roughly but now with reductions and cut backs etc the EARLIEST I can expect a start date if February 2011!!!!!!!! This has shocked me completely. It's as though the application process has taken a whole 12 month set back. I do not hope to cause people distress or anything like that from this post, I just know if it were me I'd like to keep up to date with everyones information. Every little helps as the supermarket says :)

Well chins up everybody, at least it's definately not a "sorry but no thanks" letter.

Sorry to hear that Lucy, when did you first apply? Silly me, just read your post again!

I do find this hard to believe; how many applicants can be in front of you waiting for start dates if you applied in 2007?! Who did you send your letter to? I sent a similar letter on the 12th February but still waiting for a response from the head of recruitment.

Edited by tjosmith

Sorry to hear that Lucy, when did you first apply? Silly me, just read your post again!

I do find this hard to believe; how many applicants can be in front of you waiting for start dates if you applied in 2007?! Who did you send your letter to? I sent a similar letter on the 12th February but still waiting for a response from the head of recruitment.

Thank you tjosmith, I applied December 2007 and have had no hold ups as far as I am aware. They also said in the letter they hoped people would be getting a start date 3 months after their fitness, but obviously by February 2011 I would have been waiting nearly 18 from when I passed the physical. I sent my letter to the Director of Personnel (I believe may be retiring this month?!?)

The thing that is annoying me now greatly is the fact that they must have been aware of all this a few months ago (although Project Paragon doesnt come into force until April they have been planning it for months and months in advance and the final plan was actually meant to be in place in January...or so I have been told)

Why when I phoned up in January was I told the earliest I could expect is June/July 2010 and that the first intakes were being booked in for April (im guessing no-one has heard that they will be starting then)

I passed my fitness start of August so think I must be in a similar place in the queue to you.....this is a bit of a nightmare really, it will be interesting if they let people know about this.......

Thank you tjosmith, I applied December 2007 and have had no hold ups as far as I am aware. They also said in the letter they hoped people would be getting a start date 3 months after their fitness, but obviously by February 2011 I would have been waiting nearly 18 from when I passed the physical. I sent my letter to the Director of Personnel (I believe may be retiring this month?!?)

I've just been chatting with a pal of mine who is a probationer with WMP, and he was saying that there's still confusion in the ranks about what will be happening in April, across the force.

I'm still hopeful that things will change in April. I always find that you get told one thing by recruitment one week, then something else the next.

I'm frustrated because I missed on a fitness test just before Christmas because I was on medical hold. At least you guys are in the hat for the next start dates whenever they may be. I'd still be hopeful about a 2010 start date guys! I've also not had the dreaded "we'll contact you again in April 2011" letter so fingers crossed.

p.s. I'm not usually this optimistic about police recruitment, what's come over me?!

Does everyone have a back up in case they are waiting 4 years. It would be intresting to hear if people in the long queue do or has every1 pinned their hopes of joining wmp??

Not good news at all but you must be one of the first in line for a start date?

I called last week and was told that there was an intake in August, September and one possibly in November.

Number upped from 18 to 36 but by the sounds of it these two will not scratch the surface.

Things were changing weekly and thats why there are so many rumours around.

If your not starting before 2011 then those behing you including myself will be well into 2011

Not good news at all but you must be one of the first in line for a start date?

I called last week and was told that there was an intake in August, September and one possibly in November.

Number upped from 18 to 36 but by the sounds of it these two will not scratch the surface.

Things were changing weekly and thats why there are so many rumours around.

If your not starting before 2011 then those behing you including myself will be well into 2011

Things do indeed change every week. If you look at the "Student Officer" forum on here you will see that some lucky people are getting provisional April start dates!

Yes, it really is true! Roll on April and lets hope they continue to increase the intakes!

Edited by tjosmith

Things do indeed change every week. If you look at the "Student Officer" forum on here you will see that some lucky people are getting provisional April start dates!

Yes, it really is true! Roll on April and lets hope they continue to increase the intakes!

Yep you're right things seem to change weekly, if not daily. It's absolutely fantastic news about people being dished out April dates and it can only mean good news for us too. They seem to be finally starting to sift through the backlog. Slowly but surely!

Just have to hold on tight till our turn comes around, which it will.

Edited by LucyOshea

The thing that is annoying me now greatly is the fact that they must have been aware of all this a few months ago (although Project Paragon doesnt come into force until April they have been planning it for months and months in advance and the final plan was actually meant to be in place in January...or so I have been told)

Why when I phoned up in January was I told the earliest I could expect is June/July 2010 and that the first intakes were being booked in for April (im guessing no-one has heard that they will be starting then)

I passed my fitness start of August so think I must be in a similar place in the queue to you.....this is a bit of a nightmare really, it will be interesting if they let people know about this.......

Paragon is an ongoing process, the aim is to have resources in their new places ie LPUs etc by April but not everything will be done by then! Its a big enough challenge to get the staff already employed in place never mind people who've not even joined yet. At least in April there should be a slightly better idea of where and in what number new recruits are needed.

Operation Paragon is a nightmare. Everything is taking ages. We are given dates of when decisions will be made and when that date arrives, we hear nothing. Then we are just left in the dark to hear of any updates.

In all honesty, if your start date has been delayed, then that is a blessing. Everyone's moral is very low at this moment because no one knows what is happening. Police staff are concerned about who is going to be made redundant. Many people have to re-apply for their positions.

We were told that 3 of the CJU departments would be combined as one and there will only be one manager. Full details will be provided in December 2009. We are now approaching May 2010 and at the moment, the departments have not been combined. The three managers are concerned who will be made redundant and they have been told that they all need to re-apply. Rumours are that their interviews will take place around August/September this year. Rumours are that the supervisors also have to re-apply but we are not sure.

If you were to join now, trust me, it would be an absolute nightmare. You will think that nobody knows what they are doing etc etc

For example, on April 6, when Paragon changes took place, on the police side (not staff), new codes were created for cases based on their new LPU. You would think that some bright spark would have allowed a cross over period for information to be transferred to from the police systems to the courts system, such as the Libra transfers.

What actually happened was that no new codes cand some old codes could not be transferred. Some old codes could be transferred but the courts could not print off the information. This meant that anything that we had entered on the police systems to be transferred over, had to be re-entered on the court system (Libra). Imagine the backlog this created and ciaos.

There was confusion with the despatch people who collect internal post. They did not know what areas they were covering so the internal post in our department was not collected for a couple of days.

If Operation Paragon cannot even get the simple things right on police staff side, I dread to think what will happen when they eventually get round to combining the departments.

Trust me, you should really appreciate that your start date has been delayed.

I am sorry I cannot be positive at this moment, but it would be pointless painting a rosy picture and making you feel that you are missing out.