Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Politi112

Why do people leave the police (other than end of service)

Hi Politi 112,

Why do you ask? (Are you perhaps a serving officer with career doubts, or an aspiring applicant, or a curious member of the public, or a student conducting a survey? It might help people to give a more specific answer if they know a bit more about the areas you're interested in. :smile: )

With on going cuts and the vocation not now seen as a "job for life" why do people leave what was typically looked at as a one stop shop.

What reasons have people got for moving on?

I'm half way through my service. I've sacrificed a lot of family time and experience things that you cannot begin to explain to the ordinary person out on the street. I'm now looking at a cut of at least £1200 from my salary and paying even more than the £345 per month for my pension to potentially work longer and get less.

This all comes with the demand for more for less as this shower in government cut thousands of frontline officers. I remember the quote "WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER". In view f this I ask the question. How much has been cut from MP's pay, how much have they lost from their pension?? Let us not begin to mention their sacred expenses!

I'm ready to quit for the sake of my sanity and my family.

• Like 3

I left recently, I could not envisage been in it for 35+ years when the organisation seems to be getting worse and stopping police from being police. I never witnessed the good old days but other guys stated they wouldn't join knowing what they know now.

With the attack on police pay, pensions, jobs, conditions of service - is it any wonder why police officers are considering leaving a job many of us used to love and enjoy doing? This Government has made the job of Police Officer untenable.

I would leave if I didn't have so much pension rights and things tied up in the job (question is will I still have them when it's time to go)

Joined at 18 and a half and looking to go in 3 yrs time with a full 30 yrs in but that could all change at the stroke of a pen and I may have to do many years more and work until I am 60 if the scum Government have their way.

How any of the armed protection unit can be in the presence of Cretin Cameron and his blood thirsty crew is beyond me. I would be on paper for incivility telling the goon how it really is.

The sustained and determined attack on police pay and conditions really demonstrate the contempt that the Tory boys have for the organisation.

My youngest son has his heart set on joining the Force!!! Hopefully I can point out the numerous pitfalls and crap that will spell it out to any sane and capable person to steer clear.

The job is nothing like it was when I joined. It has slowly and steadily gone downhill since the 1980s and is now in free fall,looking to crash to ground with an enormous bang.

As is often said "you get what you pay for" and this Government will inherit the Police that they deserve. The public deserve better. My Force are already slowly decreasing the service delivery to the public with the inception of "telephone investigations" a throw back to the crime desks they used to have when what are deemed minor volume crimes such as theft from M/V are just recorded over the phone and a cop never sent to the scene, no forensic examination, just another statistic to the books.

The question should be posed as WHY DO PEOPLE STAY IN THE POLICE rather than the other way round :wink: , because if I didnt stand to lose so much in pension I would be gone tomorrow.

It's a disgrace really that we can be so strongly attacked and are defenceless tot he onslaught, BIG BULLY TORY BOYS strike again kicking the defenceless. SHAME ON THEM.

I always tended to think, when the last government launched it's Police Recruitment site Could You Police that a more appropriate title should have been Would You Police??? - because, let's face, even back then the job was a shadow of it's former self. Why anyone would join is beyond me to be honest. Would I join if I knew all those years ago what I know now? No, absolutely not. The problem is now, although I've still got just over ten years to do, is that I have become tied to the job. Not by the overriding sense of duty I once had, which has slowly but surely been knocked out of me over the years, but by my pension and the fact that the skills I have acquired over the years mean next to nothing outside of this job. I can drive a car fast on blue lights. I can disperse a crowd of opposing football fans in full riot gear, using the various tactics taught. But what good are such skills outside this job? I'm sure some of the skills would stand me in good stead - but much of what I'm highly trained to do wouldn't mean anything to an external employer.

That said, I'd happily walk away tomorrow if I could. I'd stack shelves at Tescos if I had to. But sadly, that wouldn't cover my mortgage and other commitments.

The way this government is treating the Police is beyond the pale. But I'm afraid there has been a sustained assault on the Police for many years now by successive governments. We had the Sheehy Report first under the last Tory government - but we shouldn't forget that New Labour, with David Blunkett as Home Secretary similarly attacked Police pay and conditions, oddly enough attempting to implement some of what Sheehy had previously suggested in the process. And now we have Windsor, who coincidentally in many regards is also rehashing recommendations first made by Sheehy, way back when. There is, I'm afraid, sustained political will power from both sides - irrespective of what the other might say in opposition - to drive a steamroller through the Police's pay and conditions. The climate, however, is right this time around - and ultimately they always get what they want. Eventually.

It wouldn't be so bad them revising our terms and conditions if I could still go out and be a proper Police Officer. But we have become like a toothless pitbull - we have no bite anymore. Our authority has been weakened and the relative ease with which, whilst doing you job in good faith, anyone of us can find ourselves inadvertently on the wrong side of the law does make me wonder is it really worth it? Doing more with less is one thing. Making the sacrifices we make all well and good - but the immense levels of personal liability connected to Policing seriously makes you question whether it's worth it anymore. And I'm very much of the view, it's not. Not in the slightest.

I guess I will have to grim and bear it for now. I do wonder though whether redundancy would be a good thing - other than getting crushed in the rush that is as hordes of disgruntled coppers storm the exit.

I joined 1988 left in 1990 for 6 years while did military. Re joined in 1996.

Wish to god I could go back to military, however now too old.

Bring in vol redundancy...

If I got offered a good enough package I'd grab their hand off.

This is really interesting to read for someone who is looking to job the police now.

• Like 2

I have to add to the comments on this one that like the above would I advise my son to join the service that I joined and loved ...... NO is the simple answer ...... This I think is what speaks volumes and is a very very sad situation to be in. The whole of the police service is on the brink of being overhauled into something that none of us will recognise, few will agree with, and worst of all the public WILL suffer without any hesitation. They already are to many an extent and it is getting worse. It is a tragic shame that we are not allowed to publically tell everyone just what goes on but one thing is for sure, I wouldn't rejoin now.

Get your head around this because I can't and how familiar this story will be to many reading this ...... An officer joins the police service at the age of 19 after 10 years service and aged 29 has 20 years to go retiring at 49. Under the new proposals of working until aged 60 that same officer would go from 20 years service remaining to 31 years remaining. Thats right, more service to do now after serving for 10 years than they had before they joined originally. In effect they are now a cadet that has not yet joined. How can things like this be right? Thats what is frightening folks!

• Like 1

This is really interesting to read for someone who is looking to job the police now.

In a word, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :g:

In the news yesterday there was an article on airline pilots saying the very same thing about advising their child not to be an airline pilot because of the changes to the job. And this is not an isolated comment parents are currently making about the jobs that they are in. It comes down to when you have several years in and, given the economy where would you go to anyway?

Its a difficult one in that staying in a job for the pension etc makes sense but equally you don't want a life that ends with a lot of 'what ifs'. And the worse is if you do leave and the 'what if' you tried doesnt work out.

Wish to god I could go back to military, however now too old.

The same thought crosses my mind most days.... :sad:

Bring in vol redundancy...

If I got offered a good enough package I'd grab their hand off.

Aye, me 'n all!

Saying that, if the "military based" role I'm after pops up soon, I'll happily jump the sinking ship without a second thought...

Hmmm.

Well I hear that "security" (armed) aboard ships passing Africa is popular at the moment. However I've also heard the rules of engagement if attacked, are crap. Which makes it almost as bad as police work..!!!