Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

claire19855

Final Interview

At the vetting stage the same as a few guys on here but want to start going over stuff for final interview but not really sure where to start!

Anyone started studying yet? Any pointers?

I've had plenty of feedback Claire, seems to be skim over previous notes and relax, it's more about you and what your like, few scenario based stuff I believe. I am going for the focus on confidence approach and bury any nerves tactic. If they liked what they saw at initial, then in my opinion try and chill for final without appearing over confident.

Good luck mate, hope to see you at tulliallan. Let us know when you get a date thru for final

I've PM'd you with interview tips I sent another person previously.

Can I be cheeky and ask for those tips aswell?

I'm going to go for the confident approach aswell. I'm assuming if they put you through initial they clearly liked what they saw and can see you as a future police officer. In my initial I tried to make a point of having them know I like to learn and improve i.e. with fitness and my learning etc. Hopefully I can do that in the final.

I wouldn't mind some of those tips too Dizzy!

I know how you feel Claire, i've got a lot of my own notes, just trying to keep myself up to date without going into study overload.

Edited by Big Mac n Fries

Hey all, im on the same boat as yourself claire,i have my final interview on tuie week. so nervous about it. also looking any tips

PM'd a few more of you. Share it if you want.

Hey guys, all the help is much appriciated!!

Good luck Michelle and when you pass you can share your pointers too :tongue:

Well, I don't want to miss out here so, could somebody share them with me too please? Maybe Dizzy could post it in one of the topics to share it if he wants to?

I haven't had my final yet but I think that Angel gave some good advice in her previous posts which are worth looking at.

When they called me last week they asked for a few bits of info like what I had studied at uni', my current job, where I travelled and worked abroad over the past year etc. All of these bits are info are in my application form but I think they will use these as prompts to get the interview going, to save digging through the forms.

If anybody is interested. I was told the next intakes are late July and late August.

The July intake is the 18th, not sure of August date tho. July is filling up but think there is potential, albeit slim chance

I'd be chuffed to get in by august, that's roughly when I thought I'd get in, all things going well of course. But I'd take any date at all, just want to get in!

Saw a brown envelope had been delivered today, got far too nervous when I saw it, only to realise it wasn't for me. This is getting ridiculous lol.

It gets ridiculous when you have to hide behind the hedge and jump the postie with anticipation lol

Well, I don't want to miss out here so, could somebody share them with me too please? Maybe Dizzy could post it in one of the topics to share it if he wants to?

I haven't had my final yet but I think that Angel gave some good advice in her previous posts which are worth looking at.

When they called me last week they asked for a few bits of info like what I had studied at uni', my current job, where I travelled and worked abroad over the past year etc. All of these bits are info are in my application form but I think they will use these as prompts to get the interview going, to save digging through the forms.

If anybody is interested. I was told the next intakes are late July and late August.

Below is what I've messaged a few people with

The best thing I did was make lots of notes on things most important to the interview. Using the bullet points from the "What we're looking for" part of the website, I made notes for each thing of at least two stories I could relate to these things, some of these stories could be used for more than one point though and in the final interview I did use examples that I had put on my application form, so remember to read what you wrote on that too.

You'll be given an opportunity to sell yourself to them. Make your own bullet points on why you want to join the force and another set about what you can bring to the force/offer them.

Make sure you are up to date on current news and things that affect the police, the major one being the single Scottish police force. Other things like sectarianism might come up too, so know your diversity stuff also.

Demonstrate you have a knowledge of the force and the college too and what you'd expect during training.

The people taking the interview will try and make you as comfortable as possible. Use the water if you need it, its not there to trick you, lol. Let them see your personality too.

My interview lasted about an hour, but I know other people have had much shorter interviews and others a bit longer.

If you have any other questions, just drop me a message.

Mods feel free to delete if there is too much information given here.

• Like 1

Sound advice. Dizzydee gave me tips before my final and sopt on it was. (Sorry a didnt come see you at Tulli BTW). As he has said, know your diversity points, have examples of when you have been in situations where any of the strands are relavent. Examples of when you have shown teamwork and leadership skills. Also any difficult descisions you have been forced to make. Make youre you remember the examples you gave in your application form as they may want to expand on any of them.

My interveiw lasted about 40 mins. Two inspectors, made me feel really comfortable. I was totaly honest (a little to forthcoming at one point) but they pointed that out to me, that it was clear that I was being honest throughout. Just try and relax, final interveiw I found was more about ME than what I had remembered from websites. They checked all that in the initial.

Also, if you can speak to as many cops/staff as possible, give them no doubt you know what your getting in to.

Trawl through this forum as well, loads of examples of peoples interveiws and what they were faced with.

Good luck all!

• Like 3

All this is advice is really great guys, much appreciated! Will make a point of going to see another officer at a different sub division HQ when I (hopefully) pass vetting. That would make it 4 officers all from different areas of my division I've talked with, do you think its worth trying to also speak with, say, a sergeant or even an officer with a long length of service?

I also have an ex officer to talk with who's been a massive help.

Thanks again for all the advice, hopefully we'll get to follow in your footsteps soon enough!

Agreed, speaking to a few different officers is a good idea. I spoke with a few probationers, but also some retired senior officers to find out how things had changed in policing.

Another thing that they'll want to see is demonstration of good communication skills. Being able to speak to folk from different walks of life. Think about the many folk you could encounter and the situations you may find yourself in, that communication will be a great tool.

With your scenario questions just make sure you use common sense and can justify actions you'd take or provide good reasoning.

Bizarrely I actually enjoyed my final interview. I think this was because I had done all this preparation before hand and things didn't come out of the blue.

Edited by Dizzydee

I think I should do ok with issues they throw at me relating to diversity and people.

I do voluntary work with underprivileged kids and teenagers from different backgrounds who are looking for work, and also with young carers who have difficult family lives. It's all about communicating, as well as leadership as I have to help teach the kids. I also have a brother with autism and could talk for days on disability, I'm just trying to make sure all my bases are covered as best as I can.

I want as many things prepared to talk about as I can, would hate to go in and they ask something and I have absolutely no response for it!

Big mac you'll be fine mate, don't worry. As it has been said it'll be more of a chat. Don't over prepare mate ;-)

Good luck everyone! I'm starting Tulliallan (with Central) in July so hopefully see you there!

Also starting in July :) can't wait!

• Like 1

That's great- with Strathclyde? It's only when I talk to people that have been at Tulliallan/are at this stage I start to get excited about it- I think my family are fed up of hearing about it! Oops!

Yeah strathclyde! I'm the same don't want to get too excited yet plus I have had my conditional offer for a good few weeks now! Still got final fitness to do but I will not let that fail me!

Just found out today that my work sent back reference around 8th May but my 2 personal referees haven't been written to yet. Wonder how much longer for vetting to complete.

Me and bigmac have been vetted since beginning of the month I think. I think that's 4/5 weeks now. Fingers crossed only another 2 more to go.

6 weeks tomorrow I'll have been vetted for mate, and my personal references were done days after my interview!