Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Hi guys due to a change in my personal circumstances I am considering switching my application to Dounreay from Heysham. I was just wondering if any serving officers working there could PM me and give me their unbiased views and opinions on living and working there. From what i've seen it looks a lovely place if not a little remote. Am planning on taking a trip up there in the next few weeks but any advice or info on housing, areas, social life etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers peeps.

Now then Bill,

I'm in similar situation to yourself. What kind of info have you got about Dounrey? Just passed my firearms/fitness assessment and was told only Dounrey will need more for the foreseeable future. Let me know if you don't mind.

Cheers, Pud

PS: I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me cos yr new.

Hi im in the same position just waiting on medical. Dounreay for me is the other end of the country as im in Cornwall if that is the only place taking on at the mo i will seriously have to consider it. what is everyone's thoughts on Scotland.

Hi Yorkypud/RockapeER5 not much info on Scotland to be honest just heard reports on how nice it is. Think will have to take a trip up there and see for myself before I commit. In two minds whether to stay with Heysham or transfer to Dounreay...... as you said Rockape if that's the only site which needs recruits will have to seriously consider it. Just had an email from HR and they said Heysham is not on hold and that ''training courses will be commencing shortly for other sites such as Dounreay.''

Which site are you down for 'Pud??

Hey,

I initially applied for Sellafield but it looks like it's Dounreay or nowt. I'm seriously thinking about it. As you say will have to get up there and check it out.

Cheers

Anyone know of any nice areas within the 40 miles, or whatever it is of Dounreay? Gonna have to get up there for a look.

id seriously suggest taking a look up there before commiting,its a life changing move and a transfer to another unit afterwards will be slim to none at best

Property is cheap, the reason being is the location. If it dont suit you will struggle to sell and move back. You have to be 120 per cent sure and there is the inclement weather to consider. I have freinds there who love it but like Pete says Transfers can be slim. I applied a few years back for Wylfa and Cappenhurst, I went through the process twice and it was either Scotland or Cumbria so I transfered to a home office force. I would still consider the CNC if wylfa came up again but I think with them pulling the plug on the new site it aint going to happen.

Good luck to everyone who applys !