Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Yorkypud

Hunterston Site

Hi All,

Does anyone out there work at or know of the Hunterston CNC site? Any comments on the area or the site itself would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I've just received the email about hunterston but it says .It is anticipated that a number of these vacancies will be for the Hunterston Operational Policing Unit. So does it mean theres vacancies else where I wonder ?

Hi Sharpy,

I got the same msg, I'm gonna ring them and try and get a strait answer and will let you know. Do you know anything about the area? I've been trying to find out all I can.

Cheers

No sorry don't know anything about it, I'm after sellafield as its 15 mins from my house,where as hunterston is 3.5 hours. But at least something's happening regarding recruitment.

A previous employer had business at Hunterston and I've been onsite a number of times. I also live reasonably locally. What is it you want to know?

I guess I want to find out more about the area first as would need to relocate - do you know where's nice to bring up a family etc etc

Take your pick! Hunterston itself is just outside Largs, which is a nice wee seaside town, but well within comfortable commuting distance of much of Ayrshire, Renfrewshire and just about the entire Glasgow area. Theres a few hellholes in that area, much like anywhere else, but theres plenty of nice places to choose from.

I drove there quite a few times from the west side of Glasgow and it's quite a nice wee drive.

https://maps.google....ingdom&t=h&z=10

Cheers davidmckin

Planning a trip up there hopefully next week, do you knw of any good/cheap B&B's we ciuld base ourselves at?

Ta

Hi Yorkypud just come back from a trip to Hunterston power station and there are plenty of B&B's in the area. From what I could see there are 3 main towns/villages around the plant which were Largs, West Kilbride and Fairlie. Largs is a seaside town with a marina, various shops and pubs/restaraunts. Fairle is a nice village, one pub and a petrol station with a Spar shop attached. West Kilbride is a nice village, 3 pubs and 2 hotel complexes, beach, convenience store, nice walking areas. Seems to be a nice place to bring up a family mate.

I have registered my interest with recruitment in going there anyway!

Hope this helps.

Nice 1 Bill,

We're gonna go and have too, maybe look abit further afield aswell. We mainly just wanna get a 'feel' for the place. I've put my name down too but they did say only "A number of these positions will be for Hunterston." when I asked about this they didn't know how many or what other sites will be be hiring. Are you up for any other sites if they're available or is that now your first choice?

Cheers Pal.

Down for Heysham originally 'pud but just registered my interest for Hunterston as well.

Have you had confirmation that you're defo starting on 29th Aug then mate?

Cheers davidmckin

Planning a trip up there hopefully next week, do you knw of any good/cheap B&B's we ciuld base ourselves at?

Ta

Hi Yorkypud just come back from a trip to Hunterston power station and there are plenty of B&B's in the area. From what I could see there are 3 main towns/villages around the plant which were Largs, West Kilbride and Fairlie. Largs is a seaside town with a marina, various shops and pubs/restaraunts. Fairle is a nice village, one pub and a petrol station with a Spar shop attached. West Kilbride is a nice village, 3 pubs and 2 hotel complexes, beach, convenience store, nice walking areas. Seems to be a nice place to bring up a family mate.

I have registered my interest with recruitment in going there anyway!

Hope this helps.

Sorry, don't know of any B&Bs personally, but Billious's advice is spot on. Theres hundred of wee B&Bs in Largs, West Kilbride and Fairlie, with more available a bit further away in Wemyss Bay and Ayr. These are all seaside resorts where most of Glasgow went on holiday in the days before cheap air travel.

I could think of a lot worse places to bring up a family than Largs. Nice wee place, but handy enough for Glasgow too. Maybe I'll get posted down there if I get into Strathclyde! :biggrin:

you will, if successful have to sign a contract to live permanently within 40 miles or an hour of the site, choose wisely if you want to take hunterston to relocate completely or wait for another site,the 4 on/4off isnt set in stone and can change due to training or change of rest days etc.

you will, if successful have to sign a contract to live permanently within 40 miles or an hour of the site, choose wisely if you want to take hunterston to relocate completely or wait for another site,the 4 on/4off isnt set in stone and can change due to training or change of rest days etc.

I just checked that on a map. The entire greater Glasgow area is within 40 mile of Hunterston!

meant as a permanent address ie using b&bs and commuting distances home for rest days as a no-no.most of the lads based there live in the glasgow area