Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

crazylegs

Fitness and Firearms - 22nd

Hello everyone,

I have my fitness and firearms assesment on the 22nd November and I am starting to get anxious. Just getting over a chest infection and have started running again and whilst I am achieving level 8 on the bleep test at home I was hoping that someone who has completed it previously could just confirm the format of the day so that I can recreate a kind of "test environment" at home prior to this to aleviate my apprehension.

1) Does the bleep test have a countdown in terms of prompts that you are coming the end of a shuttle time limit, a light that does the same or is there some form of pace keeper?

2) What does the warmup consist of and how long does it last for?

3) What does the firearms brief consist of? I thought that we maybe tested on weapons drills/handling/confidence etc however it appears that I may have been incorrect based on what I have read elsewhere?

I appreciate I maybe over analysing this but I would help me alot!

Much thanks!

Hi Call,

I had my assessment a few months ago and it was all very informal, it's good to be prepared but don't worry yourself over it.

1.) The pace is set by different beeps but it's really strait forward and easy to understand.

2.) The warm up was just a steady jog and stretch.

3.) The assessment regarding the firearms is just handling them and loading etc. Quite fiddly and tricky but we all passed quite easily, you're allowed to practise and it's nowt to worry about.

Most of the day is just presentations and talks, all, as I say very informal. HR are there as well so you can ask any Q's which is handy.

Hope this helps, any other Q's you have just let me know and I'll help if I can.

Thanks Yorky,

Thats brilliant!

With regards to the bleeps setting the pace... I've downloaded a bleep test for my mp3 player. There is a series of 3 bleeps as a countdown to the final bleep per shuttle to indicate time left per shuttle. Is it like that?

And with regards to the warmup jog - how long if you had to place a distance/time on it?

It's just one beep, no count down to it. If you go on the NPIA website I'm sure you can download the official one

The warm up is just a few laps of the sports hall, nowt too stressfull. It's the 15m bleep test by the way. I can't quite remember the beep sequence but it's clearly explained and they check you undertand before each part of the day.

The required level is 7.4 or whatever it is but that really isn't high at all. Just practise in the park or garden, that's what I did. They tell you you can go as high as you want but aren't really bothered as long as you get to the required level.

:boxing:

Our firearms requirement is 9.4. Not quite a walk in the park, but not far off. To jump from level 8 is a bit of an ask, but perhaps the desire to get the role will provide the impetus you need. Good luck!

Hey there crazylegs,

I also have fitness and firearms on the 22nd! And annoyingly enough I have a chest infection also and managed to strain my leg just before that, so the end of my training schedule has been messed up quite a lot, I finish antibiotics tomorrow, but had my first run in a week today and although I wasn't at my best, it wasn't as bad as I feared!

I to am quite nervous of the day, having been training for so long, to see fate deliver such a cruel blow near the end has not helped my confidence, and now hearing there are no countdown beeps hasn't helped!!!

When did you do your assessment day?

Thanks for the other posters that contribute regularly, been reading for some time now and have appreciated the help :thumbsup:

@ Angrybeard Sounds like we are in a similar boat then!

I passed my NPIA A/C in June, final run tonight then I will start carb loading for Thursday.

More than confident that I will be able to get to level 9.4 eventually, time and training is all I need!

Thanks for all the advice peoples :)

@ Angrybeard Sounds like we are in a similar boat then!

I passed my NPIA A/C in June, final run tonight then I will start carb loading for Thursday.

More than confident that I will be able to get to level 9.4 eventually, time and training is all I need!

Thanks for all the advice peoples :)

You only need 7.2 on the bleep, they lowered it from 9.4 about 12 months ago.

passed that, just waiting for medical now. Any input as to usual timescales post fitness test for medical > vetting > offer? or does it swing in roundabouts?

I sat and passed fitness and firearms in August and I've still not had a medical so prepare for a long frustrating wait I'm afraid!

• Like 1

As I've said before on here chase up HR as often as you dare, that's what I've done since Feb '11. I obviously can't promise this helps but I seem to have jumped ahead of a few candidates. :headbang:

I sat and passed fitness and firearms in August and I've still not had a medical so prepare for a long frustrating wait I'm afraid!

unfortunelty the cnc is notoriously a very looooong process! my big mate pabz has been waiting ages and he phones ever week!

• Like 1