Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Nevo

New Starters

Hi everyone...just thought it might be worth starting a new thread for new starters to discuss car sharing/boots etc?

Hey Nevo :) this is my first post on here. I'm starting in January. I was actually going to suggest on the 'on hold' topic that a new one should be started for us lot! Then I found this :)

I went yesterday morning, apparently I was the 11th out of the 20 to be done. It was hard to get a grasp of what it's all going to look like as he had me trying on one piece at a time.

Did you go next door to have a look at the boots?

I have mine booked for the 7th of January. You said they offered boots next door, is it worth going there for them or elsewhere to find a pair?

No, I'm gonna hit the Altberg factory in January for a fitting I think. Their prices for the Magnum boots were more than fair though, I thought.

<edit>The place who does the fitting offered good prices for Magnums...not Altberg. Obviously :whistling: </edit>

Edited by The Large Portion

i'm going for my fitting tomorrow morning, looking forward to it all and getting in the swing of things. had a word with a mate of mine who is in the police already, has said that Altberg's are the way to go - cost a bit more but are totally worth the extra, Magnums end up splitting after 6 months.

• Like 1

Cheers. I am moving up from the south to Merseyside in January. Whilst I know the region pretty well I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me? I was thinking of renting a place just outside the city possibly near sefton park and driving 20 minutes to Lea Green for training. My reasoning for this is so I am fairly central and flexible for when I find out I will be based. Would it be better to find a place near St Helens?

Cheers. I am moving up from the south to Merseyside in January. Whilst I know the region pretty well I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me? I was thinking of renting a place just outside the city possibly near sefton park and driving 20 minutes to Lea Green for training. My reasoning for this is so I am fairly central and flexible for when I find out I will be based. Would it be better to find a place near St Helens?

Hi, firstly congrats to all of you for getting a start date in the new year. I am on the current intake (that started in September) and can say that it was definitely worth the wait. The course is intense, as it has been condensed from 28 weeks to 19 weeks, but you will enjoy it. I am nearing the end of mine and it has flown by!

Xander I will PM you with some info on accomodation that may be of help.

Hi, firstly congrats to all of you for getting a start date in the new year. I am on the current intake (that started in September) and can say that it was definitely worth the wait. The course is intense, as it has been condensed from 28 weeks to 19 weeks, but you will enjoy it. I am nearing the end of mine and it has flown by!

Xander I will PM you with some info on accomodation that may be of help.

Xander, further to the last post - I am not able to PM you on this. PM me if you want as I have a few options on where you can stay.

I undertook the regs training with merpol back in 2009 at lea green - who are your trainers?

WE all said at the end of the course that it should be shorter - seems they took notice. Its probably different now though as lea green was packed with every classroom full and regular inspections with the sgt and inspector. Still the same?

Leito,

I don't seem to be able to PM you either!

Leito,

I don't seem to be able to PM you either!

Hey Xander - I think I need to have posted a minimum number of times before I gain the ability to PM people. What a pain that is!

mattk1985 - we've not long had our job offer paperwork through so no idea on who the trainers are yet - Leito will know though.

Re. boots I'm going to try and get up to Altberg soon too, their only distributor in Liverpool is Callans in town and they can't get hold of them as most of Altberg's stock goes to the MoD now. Callans had magnums but the guy in store said deffo head up to Yorkshire as they're by far the best. Tried the Lowa Mountain GTX on at Ioma, a million times better than Magnums, but they felt like they were pushing me onto my tiptoes because they've a thick heel and have a 'sketchers' like roll at the front of the sole.

So have we many Specials or CSOs on the January intake?

I undertook the regs training with merpol back in 2009 at lea green - who are your trainers?

WE all said at the end of the course that it should be shorter - seems they took notice. Its probably different now though as lea green was packed with every classroom full and regular inspections with the sgt and inspector. Still the same?

Mattk1985 - The trainers for my intake have all trained classes from before the recruitment freeze - you'll understand that I won't name them on an open forum such as this. They are excellent though!

We have had regular inspections (mostly in our dress uniforms), those of you on the new intake will have a quick learning curve in bulling boots for parade - or better yet, ask those in the class who are good at it to do them for you!