Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

George11

Vetting Issue - anything to be worried about?

Just a quick one...

A while back (late summer 2012), I was the back-seat passenger in a friends car, we were innocently driving around, as all of us had recently passed our driving tests and the novelty of driving had yet to be worn off. We must have been out on this 'cruise' (a weekly occurrence); however, this time til around 4am (yes it's odd, but simply we had nothing better to do). A police van clocks us and pulls us over, the two officers come over and state there have been robberies in the area and they have seen the vehicle we were all in a few times. One officer proceeded to say he will search us and the vehicle, not before they check all our ID, so we comply and hand over our ID to the other officer who went off back to the van and I can only presume did some background checks, he came back no more than 5 minutes later and said "everything's fine" and gave our ID back. The search on us and the vehicle never took place, instead they decided to spend the next 20 minutes talking to us all about getting into the police and their career backgrounds (although they were both fairly cynical of the force!!) - which was great for me! Overall after the initial stop we had a friendly banter, we all then said bye, we went one way they officers another. I've never really thought much of it, but ever since I've been in the process for Strathclyde, I'm becoming really paranoid, should I write a letter and disclose this event, or is really nothing to worry about, that was the only time I've ever been involved with police, other than helping them or simply inquiring regarding police officer careers.

Hope you can shine some light on this issue,

Many thanks,

George

Much obliged! :smile:

I would disclose this. Shows honesty and integrity.

Better than recruitment getting back to u asking why u never declared this.

Better safe than sorry.

My main concern is, does anything like that, despite nothing coming of it, does it go on your record or something?

I can see no reason why you would need to disclose this. You were a passenger in a car during a routine traffic stop. If it puts your mind at rest give recruitment a call, but i wouldnt worry.

My main concern is, does anything like that, despite nothing coming of it, does it go on your record or something?

You might show up in an info report on an intel database, but that would be about it. I can see no reason to declare it unless the app forms specifically ask for it. When vetting put your name through the various databases if you show up it should be quite evident that there is nothing of concern. If you've ever been a victim of crime you'll show up on one database or another, but there's no need to declare that either, the vetting unit can work it out for themselves.

You might show up in an info report on an intel database, but that would be about it. I can see no reason to declare it unless the app forms specifically ask for it. When vetting put your name through the various databases if you show up it should be quite evident that there is nothing of concern. If you've ever been a victim of crime you'll show up on one database or another, but there's no need to declare that either, the vetting unit can work it out for themselves.

That's really interesting, I had my bike stolen when I was about 13/14. The vetting forms tend to ask to declare if you've been 'Investigated', I'm not sure if a traffic stop qualifies as an investigation as such, or if they only qualify an 'investigation' as something where they are interviewing you, taking statements etc etc...

I would maybe write a letter to them just to put your mind at ease about this, I passed my initial interview and was going through the vetting stage which I thought I would have had no problem with as I had never been in trouble before, only to receive a letter from strathclyde telling me I had been rejected as an assault charge had shown up on their records from 2009, I had never been formally charged, didnt even know I had this as I had never even received a letter to make me aware of this. I work in my local pub part time and the police had came in and asked me if I had seen anything regarding an issue they had been made aware of happening in the pub, that was the last I even heard from the police after I told them that there was a bit of a commotion but it carried on outside the pub. Was so upset when I receieved the leterr saying I had been rejected because I didnt write anything about this on the vetting form, I tried to explain that I had never been charged and if I knew this I wouldve writeen it down as I had declared everything else, like 3 penalty points I got a few years ago, but was told I have to just reapply in 12 months, absolutely gutted because I had worked so hard and put in so much effort to get to the final interview.

Well, I appreciate all your feedback. I've composed a letter which I am planning on sending off next Monday, providing I pass my initial fitness this Friday. Once again, many thanks!

Well, I spoke to a member of recruitment when I was up, yesterday. She said there was no need to officially disclose, mainly to due to the fact I was a back-seat passenger, it was a routine stop and nothing came of it. So that has slightly raised my confidence, I have an interview now, in March, so I may just clarify there at the end if I definitely do not have to officially disclose this event.

Many thanks for all your feedback!

Hi George

let me know how it goes I'm currently sitting in the vetting stage for strathclyde, I have the same concerns as you having been pulled over quite a few times by the police although nothing ever coming of it apart from a fixed penalty for not wearing my seatbelt. I disclosed all of mine but I'm living in fear that I am unaware or have forgotten about something!

anyway if we are both successful I might see you on the next intake as they are telling us all that we will be put in a 150 person holding pool till after the 1st april.

Before you go for your interview make sure you know about the 10 diversity types, all of the training info e.g. tulliallen etc and the modules in the first section and make sure you visit your adopted police station they are really helpful!

Hi George

let me know how it goes I'm currently sitting in the vetting stage for strathclyde, I have the same concerns as you having been pulled over quite a few times by the police although nothing ever coming of it apart from a fixed penalty for not wearing my seatbelt. I disclosed all of mine but I'm living in fear that I am unaware or have forgotten about something!

anyway if we are both successful I might see you on the next intake as they are telling us all that we will be put in a 150 person holding pool till after the 1st april.

Before you go for your interview make sure you know about the 10 diversity types, all of the training info e.g. tulliallen etc and the modules in the first section and make sure you visit your adopted police station they are really helpful!

Well, as long as you disclosed your fixed penalty, I imagine you will be fine! Yeah I've locked down all the diversity, revising the probation timeline, Tulliallan and the modules covered at Tulliallan thoroughly. I've made sure I have examples ready to use for the competencies. The only problem is I live in England, so most my probationer research will be conducted over the phone with a police officer within the Strathclyde jurisdiction. I've spoken to my dad, a current serving police officer and he's given lots of tips, also got a lot of info off an Inspector who actually conducts interviews down here! So definitely putting the work in, let's just hope all goes well on the day!

Kind regards.