Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

madmandare

Resolved: 21" asp baton concerns..

Hello there,

I am just finishing my training for Notts Police. I have recieved all of my equipment, however I am just concerned about one small thing, the
21" baton (actually 20" long). To me, maybe because i'm 6ft4, but the baton feels so short. I know that other police forces in the UK carry
the 26" baton, and personally i feel that the extra 6" of baton would make a massive difference when deployed and trying to fend someone off
etc.

I know that you guys don't use the batons very often, but i was just wondering whether i would be able to return my 21" mint conditon baton
to stores and ask them to do a purchase order for a 26" baton instead from Patrol Store. I could then either pay the difference (very small)
or maybe even pay the full cost, if there a but funny about it.

Just wondering whether you guys think that this would be at all feasable or whether i just wouldn't be allowed under some kind of standardised
equipment policy. I would personally just feel a lot more comfortable with the 26" baton as oppossed to the 21" (actually 20") baton.

And words of wisdom much appreciated,

Kind Regards

Madmandare

They are small, but useful when driving.

And the pouch is great for holding my pen.

You're 6'4", you've completed your training and you don't feel capable of defending yourself with a 21" baton. Either there's something wrong with your training or you're severely lacking in the confidence you need to do the job.

Before you ask, no I'm not a police officer, so I really shouldn't be commenting. I just a lowly 5" female bouncer with nothing more than myself to protect myself.

• Like 1

Didn't anyone ever tell you?.. Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts. Apparently... Don't embarrass yourself by asking, though. If that's what the force issue, then that is that. I've worked for two forces and both issue the 21" asp. Different forces have different policies on equipment, and trust me - they won't make any exceptions.

Hello there,

Thanks for your responses, i thought that was probably the case, but no harm in asking anyways, so cheers.

You're 6'4", you've completed your training and you don't feel capable of defending yourself with a 21" baton. Either there's something wrong with your training or you're severely lacking in the confidence you need to do the job.

Before you ask, no I'm not a police officer, so I really shouldn't be commenting. I just a lowly 5" female bouncer with nothing more than myself to protect myself.

Hey there Marralass,

No i would think that you are assuming too much. I feel perfectly capabale of defending myself, i felt very compotent with my baton use during OST, and i'm also a MMA/Cage Fighter and have also done military hand to hand combat, which also helps.

However, it doesn't hurt to try and have as much kit as possible, and i feel that having a slightly longer baton would just make my new job just a tiny little bit safer, especially if i ever have to deal with for example, someone with a knife or a syringe, and i want to keep myself as far away from that knife/syringe as possible.

Kind Regards

madmandare

I cant work out if this is a genuine question or a wind up, what kind of training have you had and what do you expect to be doing in the job that allegedly at 6 foot 4 you feel that you need to be issued with a larger baton, if you are leaving training with that mindset then the training provided by Notts needs a serious review that or the vetting process is at fault.

They certainly didn't check the application for spelling...... *runs* lol

Hello there Sykes,

I think everyone is taking this quesiton WAY TO SERIOUSLY. This was only a very casual question, as in, i dont mind the 21" baton, however i am just curious as to whether i could potentially get a larger one. The answer clearly seems to be NO, so thats cool, end of story.

No matter how well trained anyone is, it doesn't do any harm at all to have as much equipment as possible, and even though i do not think that a longer baton would make any major difference, even only a very very tiny difference would be better than nothing, i like to be as well prepared/equipped as i possibly can be.

No this is not a wind up question, maybe i worded it wrong, my fault, i am not seriously corcerned or worried, just me being curious.

Compared to other training that i have had, the OST was very very ridiculously lacking, as my Sergeant would agree, and that's probably why there are multiple other police officers at both my MMA class and my Combat class.

Now relax, i have my answer which is the important thing,

Good day to you,

madmandare

• Like 1

For the OP, PC 'Tackleberry', who feels that he can't be carrying too much kit with him, I'll just point out that the 26" asp baton is just as crap as the 21". When you actually get on the streets and try to 'fend off' as you put it, some nutcase, using what amounts to not much more than an old style car radio ariel, you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2

I feel that this forum probably has lots of people asking silly casual questions (like me LOL), and lots of people like maralass, morek54 and sykes who are either trolls or just like to nit pick and read into things way too much and assume way too much and not really have any helpful input, but this may be partially my fault for making the intial question sound a little too serious. Sectioned detection, gripper and frank all had good simply answers, which is exactly what i was looking for. Jontif, of course i don't care about my spelling online, its a forum lol.

For the OP, PC 'Tackleberry', who feels that he can't be carrying too much kit with him, I'll just point out that the 26" asp baton is just as crap as the 21". When you actually get on the streets and try to 'fend off' as you put it, some nutcase, using what amounts to not much more than an old style car radio ariel, you'll see what I mean.

You are probably quite right Frank, so time shall tell, it's a good job that i dont mind a scrap then.

I think i call this and end to the discussion, well i won't be replying again anyways,

Good day :clapping:

madmandare

I feel that this forum probably has lots of people asking silly casual questions (like me LOL), and lots of people like maralass, morek54 and sykes who are either trolls or just like to nit pick and read into things way too much and assume way too much and not really have any helpful input, but this may be partially my fault for making the intial question sound a little too serious. Sectioned detection, gripper and frank all had good simply answers, which is exactly what i was looking for. Jontif, of course i don't care about my spelling online, its a forum lol.

You are probably quite right Frank, so time shall tell, it's a good job that i dont mind a scrap then.

I think i call this and end to the discussion, well i won't be replying again anyways,

Good day :clapping:

madmandare

HEY madmandare

I'm nearing the final stages of the process and read most threads that i find on here just to try to increase my knowledge and also to see if theres any questions I may want to ask that have been asked.

I personaly see nothing wrong with your question and I personaly think id agree about wanting those extra few inches to keep someone at a further distance if needed or to give me that little bit of protection if needed . I dont know what my local force supplys as standard kit and havent had any training yet so im just going by how i would feel the now. I may feel differently after ive had my training who knows. But i find your question decent enough, Ive even browsed some shops online just to see the other options availible on some of the kit you have to carry though i havent looked for batons,

So thanks for posting the question

• Like 1

You can buy those torch adapters, that screw on the Butt end, Which will give you an extra inch, or two.

I preferred my 24",Solid Acrylic Baton, but I'm not allowed to use it now.

Madmandare

Welcome to the forum. Your question is valid and has been taken out of context by a few.

You would prefer a longer baton as opposed to the shorter one. Simple.

In answer to your question as to whether your force would purchase a longer baton for your use. I would suspect not. If your force issues the 21inch Asp then that's what you will have to use.

Different forces have different policies. My force for instance used to use the PR24 which was an extendable side handled baton and this initially came in one size, then they moved to a longer one which was heavier and even a more lighter weight version and all three at one point would be issued dependent on what you preferred.

We also issued the Asp at the same time and again this was issued to those in plain clothes and squads usually.

So in essence we had around 4 different types of baton in use at any one time.

We moved away from the Asp some time ago as well as the side handled baton and opted for a Banowi Baton. This is similar to that of the Asp but instead of closing it by striking the ground (which damages the end tip), it has a quick release button at the cap to close it. It's a much better baton and this again is supplied in the short 21inch or 26inch depending on what you prefer.

My advice would be approach your public order training department who are usually responsible for delivering the training and see what they say and ask if they are considering the use of the longer baton at any stage.

You can by ask as you don't get if you dont.

• Like 1

we have both in merseyside. I use the 21" because when your in a house and you need it, its easier to to swing around. the 26" hits the walls, hits ornaments, its to long. Its preference though. but if your force only issues 21 then thats what you have got to use.