Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Hi, a couple of months ago false accusations were made about me, I believe in a bid to discredit me, the council employees claimed I had made threats to use a gun and dogs against children.

This was not true but resulted in two police officers insisting on entry into my home demanding to see certificates for a shotgun (I dont own shotguns I do have two air rifles) they also demanded to see a shotgun cabinet, which I dont need. And one officer informed me he had so many thousand volts in his pocket (threats to use tasar).

I called my local gunsmith who was unimpressed with the lack of police knowledge on firearms and the laws surrounding what it legal and required and what is not.

The police left, no arrest was made.

However this has made me really ill, it was highly distressing, my kids were home at the time, my dad who has had two strokes was here.

Can I force the police to take action on the people who made these allegations?

I have taken it to an ombudsman as the council itself feel it is acceptable as they are "safeguarding" children so any allegation is acceptable to them and they feel justified in what they have done.

They have also claimed the school my kids attend told them to call the police, the school deny this. They have also refuse permission to allow me to read the police report they made. What can I do here?

Just because you dont believe an allegation is true doesn't make it false. Someone making an allegation that they know to be false, is a false allegation.

Someone making a report about something they are concerned about and the police investigating is what people do and what the police do. Imagine if we didnt!

Would it not be sensible to live in a world where police checked out reports of people threatening children with a gun? Sounds like they did it quite reasonably, they didnt do your door, throw in flash bangs and taser you. They asked you some questions, covered all their concerns and then left.

In other news, police have been accused of ignoring reports of a man who threatened to shoot children and dogs.

• Like 2

Just because you dont believe an allegation is true doesn't make it false. Someone making an allegation that they know to be false, is a false allegation.

Someone making a report about something they are concerned about and the police investigating is what people do and what the police do. Imagine if we didnt!

Would it not be sensible to live in a world where police checked out reports of people threatening children with a gun? Sounds like they did it quite reasonably, they didnt do your door, throw in flash bangs and taser you. They asked you some questions, covered all their concerns and then left.

Nope they were kicked out for unreasonable demands which included, demanding to see a shotgun cabinet for an air rifle Edited by Bart
To remove uncalled for comment and subsequent reply

Uncalled for comments have been removed. Any more will result in the offending poster being banned from the topic. I will not have visitors to our forum being insulted. Thank you.

Hi, a couple of months ago false accusations were made about me, I believe in a bid to discredit me, the council employees claimed I had made threats to use a gun and dogs against children.

This was not true but resulted in two police officers insisting on entry into my home demanding to see certificates for a shotgun (I dont own shotguns I do have two air rifles) they also demanded to see a shotgun cabinet, which I dont need. And one officer informed me he had so many thousand volts in his pocket (threats to use tasar).

I called my local gunsmith who was unimpressed with the lack of police knowledge on firearms and the laws surrounding what it legal and required and what is not.

The police left, no arrest was made.

However this has made me really ill, it was highly distressing, my kids were home at the time, my dad who has had two strokes was here.

Can I force the police to take action on the people who made these allegations?

I have taken it to an ombudsman as the council itself feel it is acceptable as they are "safeguarding" children so any allegation is acceptable to them and they feel justified in what they have done.

They have also claimed the school my kids attend told them to call the police, the school deny this. They have also refuse permission to allow me to read the police report they made. What can I do here?

interesting one, Im not at all sure the police could insist on entry in these circumstances, With out a warrant that is ? As it is you let them in, so even if was under Coercion it seems you ''volunteered'' to their presence in your home and the subsequent inquiries they made

No you can force the police to do anything, Its your word against the council employees. What you can do is take a leaf out of the book of both the Police and the council and record all future conversations with them, So you have a proper record of what was said both to you and by you.. which is handy if you go on to complain

Edited by RBM

"Im not at all sure the police could insist on entry in these circumstances," - Possibility of someone threatening children with a gun, seems like entry would be quite easy. But even easier is to ask to come in and be let in and things can be checked.

• Like 1

"Im not at all sure the police could insist on entry in these circumstances," - Possibility of someone threatening children with a gun, seems like entry would be quite easy. But even easier is to ask to come in and be let in and things can be checked.

Ok tell me which right of entry they could use, just on the ''possibility'' of a gun ?

Edited by RBM

Ok tell me which right of entry they could use, just on the possibility of a gun ?

Firearms Act 1968 S47(5).

Your "legal profession" knowledge letting you down once again?

Firearms Act 1968 S47(5).

Your "legal profession" knowledge letting you down once again?

that for stopping and searching in a public place, and as they nether stopped or searched him and he was in his/her home ? it seems a bit loose ?

that for stopping and searching in a public place, and as they nether stopped or searched him and he was in his/her home ? it seems a bit loose ?

No it's not. You clearly haven't read it properly during your googling 10 minutes ago?

"(5)For the purpose of exercising the powers conferred by this section a constable may enter any place."

No it's not. You clearly haven't read it properly during your googling 10 minutes ago?

"(5)For the purpose of exercising the powers conferred by this section a constable may enter any place."

they can enter any place to search the person they have cause to suspect has a gun in a public place, but they had A) no grounds to suspect he had a gun IN PUBLIC place, the gun if he had one was in his home, and B) did not search him when they got there

RBM, the legislation isnt just stop and search in a public place it allows a constable to require any person whom he has reasonable cause to suspect of having a firearm in a public place OR to be committing or about to commit, ELSEWHERE than in a public place an offence relevant to that section to hand over the firearm and any ammunition for examination as well as search the person and detain them for that purpose. The offences that are relevant to the section a S.18 which covers schedule 2 offences and S.20

Also just to play devils advocate, as the legislation states commiting or about to commit an offence relevant to that section. I would suggest the complaint the police received would have had to have been made as either the incident just having happened or ongoing at that time. I don't believe they could use this particular section of legislation if the complaint was say a day or 2 old.

they can enter any place to search the person they have cause to suspect has a gun in a public place, but they had A) no grounds to suspect he had a gun IN PUBLIC place, the gun if he had one was in his home, and B) did not search him when they got there

Why do you have to keep digging an even deeper hole when you are found in the wrong every single time?

"(1)A constable may require any person whom he has reasonable cause to suspect—

(a)of having a firearm, with or without ammunition, with him in a public place; or

(b)to be committing or about to commit, elsewhere than in a public place, an offence relevant for the purposes of this section,

• Like 1