Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Xgriffin123

Eyes..

Just a quick question about firearms training.. I have an issue closing my right eye independently I can do it, but the other eye squints alot and my vision blurs slightly? Do you guys get taught to shoot with both eyes open or is it an issue if someone shoots left handed?

Regards,

James

Are you left or right handed? Is your left eye your master eye?

To be honest, whatever configuration your hand / eye is it can be overcome.

In relation to shooting with both eyes open, it depends on the weapon and it depends on the distance you are at with that weapon. Distance shooting with a pistol is not achievable for many with both eyes open and other than CQC we do not teach both eyes open in my Force with the pistol

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I also have trouble closing that left eye independently as I said. It can be done but with partial loss to the image on the right eye, due to the right eye squinting slightly.

Any tips? Both eyes open? Learn to shoot left handed or what?

Just re-read your post, interesting to read about the both eyes open dependant on situation, I think in the meantime I will just keep practicing closing one eye and whenever I pick a weapon up I will try holding it left handed and see how it feels.

It's not uncommon to be right handed and left master eye. What is very rare in my experience, is not being able to close your master eye independantly of your weak eye.

If you have done master eye tests and are positive the left is your master eye then rather than be taught to shoot left handed, train your eyes to close properly independantly of each other.

I'd give you're Occupational Health dept a call and ask them first. They will save you the time of wondering whether its doable or not. It's all well and good knowing which is your master eye and yes, there are weapons which you can shoot with both eyes open. However I think their concern will be your inability to fully control your eyelids, which ultimately is going to give you a blurry sight picture.

At least it will give you peace of mind.

I shoot both eyes open. Right handed and right eye dominant. My wife if left handed right eye dominant and she really struggles. She has been advised to shoot right handed.

If you do a police firearms course you won't have a choice what weapons you use and if your no good that's end of story. My advice would be to visit or ring the firearms unit explain that you have an interest and see what they say. The instructors might be able to give you some tips.