Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

SWAT

What guns are legal?

What type of guns are legal in the UK, I know that Automatic firearms are forbidden and it's mostly semi-automatic and standard shot-guns. On the MET website it says this:

Can I own a handgun?
Handguns are banned in England. This applies to any firearm with an overall length of less than 30 cm. However muzzle-loading handguns are permitted.

What does it mean by muzzle-loading and which pistols are legal?

Just curious...

• Like 1

You can own without a licence:

air pistols up to 6ft/lb power

air rifles up to 12ft/lb power

You can own with a shotgun certificate:

smoothbore shotguns with a fixed magazine of no more than 2 round capacity and barrel at least 24 inches long

You can own on a firearms certificate:

smoothbore shotguns with a fixed or detachable magazine with a capacity greater than 2 rounds

rifles with an overall length of at least 60cm in various calibres, .22 can be semi automatic but i believe anything bigger can not be

certain muzzle loading pistols (eg flintlock) although if you are using black power as propellent you need an explosives licence too

You can not own under any circumstances:

firearms with a barrel less than 30cm (basically any handgun except for muzzle loaders)

firearms which discharge more than one projectile per trigger pull

firearms which are disguised as an object that does not resemble a firearm

air guns with a self contained gas cartridge

firearms which discharge noxious liquid, gas or anything else (including stun guns, tasers, water pistols filled with bleach etc)

high explosive ammunition

incendiary ammunition

armour piercing ammunition

hollowpoint ammunition

grenades, bombs, rockets etc

It IS possible to be granted a firearms certificate for certain prohibited weapons such as handguns HOWEVER it is extremely difficult and very few have actually been issued in the UK. I think it is normally for security guards for foreign heads of state etc, like Obama's personal bodyguards.

• Like 1

You can own without a licence:

air pistols up to 6ft/lb power

air rifles up to 12ft/lb power

You can own with a shotgun certificate:

smoothbore shotguns with a fixed magazine of no more than 2 round capacity and barrel at least 24 inches long

You can own on a firearms certificate:

smoothbore shotguns with a fixed or detachable magazine with a capacity greater than 2 rounds

rifles with an overall length of at least 60cm in various calibres, .22 can be semi automatic but i believe anything bigger can not be

certain muzzle loading pistols (eg flintlock) although if you are using black power as propellent you need an explosives licence too

You can not own under any circumstances:

firearms with a barrel less than 30cm (basically any handgun except for muzzle loaders)

firearms which discharge more than one projectile per trigger pull

firearms which are disguised as an object that does not resemble a firearm

air guns with a self contained gas cartridge

firearms which discharge noxious liquid, gas or anything else (including stun guns, tasers, water pistols filled with bleach etc)

high explosive ammunition

incendiary ammunition

armour piercing ammunition

hollowpoint ammunition

grenades, bombs, rockets etc

It IS possible to be granted a firearms certificate for certain prohibited weapons such as handguns HOWEVER it is extremely difficult and very few have actually been issued in the UK. I think it is normally for security guards for foreign heads of state etc, like Obama's personal bodyguards.

Those pistols are like the really old ones, are pistols with magazine illegal?

Yes - the only sort of pistol you can own are ones where the propellent and ammunition is loaded directly down the barrel, like one of these:

0110%20018.jpg

Any sort of pistol which uses a magazine to feed ammunition into the chamber automatically during or after each trigger pull is certainly not allowed, which basically rules out any semi-automatic pistol or revolver

Do those 2 foot long revolvers, come with a holster :D

Quick clarification.

You can own certain revolvers and other multiple shot pistols. There are restrictions on overall length and ammunition types. More info on the link below:

https://www.shootingshow.co.uk/Go-Shooting-Pistols.html

Haha yeah, with the super long barrel and crazy butt extension, they fall within the rules because they are basically rifles. In .22 they can be semi-auto, too. That's pretty cool.

If I made an extended belt clip I could probably ge one of them in my drop leg holster. Pretty sure you can't get a serpa style one for them though.....

Heck, I own at least 30 handguns, but not one would be UK legal. A lot of my handguns are pocket pistols. I also have target pistols, plinkers, etc.

Heck, I own at least 30 handguns, but not one would be UK legal. A lot of my handguns are pocket pistols. I also have target pistols, plinkers, etc.<br />

<br /><br />You must have a lot of pockets ;)

probably a Matrix style setup, no need to reload if you have 30 guns on you. Though might need to get reinforced trousers

Errrrrmmmmmm

Air guns with a self contained cartridge?

What is the difference between these and air weapons air pistol that are powered by a CO2 cartridge in the stock/handle. Is that something different?

Hi gipper:

Handguns are cheaper to accumulate than rifles or shotguns.

I do have a question: Are Olympic style air pistols legal? (In an Olympic style air pistol, the gun is powered by compressed air loaded from a scuba tank.)

Hi George.

Yes, precharged air guns are legal in the uk. You can get rifles and pistols that are manually pressurised, recharged from a tank (paintball markers fall in this group) or run from a co2 bulb.

The legislation regarding air guns requires the projecile and gas source to be separate. A good example of what is prohibited is the Crossman Orion pistol. It was a revolver where the pellet was fitted in to a "bullet casing" which was also pressurised. This made them quick and easy to reload. IIRC you could buy quickloaders for them. They were covered by the legislation as the propellant and power source were in the same "shell" (sorry, can't think of the right term!).

Hope this helps.