Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

vanguard

Is owning a realistic replica firearm legal

Hi,

I own a replica colt peacemaker, which I bought back in the 1970's.

Is it stll legal to own this, and can I sell it?.

Realistic imitation firearms (RIF), except forward venting blank firers are legal to own.

If you sell a RIF based on a real gun designed since 1870, you can only sell to a reenactor, a museum or for a tv/film/theatre production or to a business that sells RIF' s.

Since the seller commits the offence, you need to make sure the buyer qualifies.

Edited by Fritz@Customs

Thinking of it - is it a genuine replica (I.e a toy, etc) or a deactivated weapon. Strangely enough, toys are controlled more tightly. If its a real one certified as deactivated then the restrictions are less (don't ask me why I've got no idea).

For advice on actual RIFs, you could look at http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/advice-and-information/general/realistic-imitation-firearms

As an Airsofter (and having full knowledge of the VCRA which covers this) I believe I can answer this for you.

What Fritz has said is correct. The purchase and sales of RIFs are illegal unless a defence can be provided (the defence is against prosecution as outlined in Section 37). As a seller, your defence is that the person buying must provide their defence. No defence, no sale. This is the same with any one wanting to buy it, not just airsofters. Your best option to sell this is to an Airsoft forum. Airsofters have a defence is they:

Play at a site with public liability insurance AND
Have played atleast 3 games in no less than 2 months.

To make it easier there is a system know as "UKARA" - this is a database which lists all players who have a valid defence against prosecution. It is easy to look up on and find out if they do indeed have a defence.

If you need any further information then feel free to message me.

I thought along those lines too at first, hence the (less than serious) suggestion to two tone it ;)

There's a chance that this falls into a different classification though, as these are often sold with just an 'over 18' policy. On the flip side, if it is restricted, then an airsofters defence may not be valid as its not an item which would be used at a skirmish.

As a point for pedants corner I'd add that the three game rule is qualifying criteria for UKARA membership and nothing to do with the law as such ;)

To add to the above, I've searched online to see if I can give the OP an indication if te value of his gun. Not ok helpful as I don't know how the quality compares but battleorders.co.uk sell a replica peacemaker for £45 to anyone over 18.

The same site will sell a 92F to those over 18 who ALSO have a movie/museum/re-enactor/etc defence.

I had a further look online and found two very good explanations - both by fritz@customs (not sure if they were on this forum or others now) so I'd say he is our forum expert on the matter and if the OP follows his advice he won't go far wrong.......

Hi, thanks everyone for your comments.

Just to clarify, these replics can not hold or fire any type of bullet or cartridge. And the barrels are totally filled in. As such they are just models.

I wonder if it might be easier to sell / export to the U.S. *-*

• Like 1

Hi, thanks everyone for your comments.

Just to clarify, these replics can not hold or fire any type of bullet or cartridge. And the barrels are totally filled in. As such they are just models.

I wonder if it might be easier to sell / export to the U.S. *-*

There are no UK kegal restrictions on selling RIF' s abroad, but check the import rules for the country you sell to. Even the US has some import restrictions and you don't want the RIF seized going into the US or elsewhere.

A more comprehensive summary, including the 1870 reference (of which I was previously unaware):

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/business/trading_standards/business_support/product_safety/imitation_firearms.aspx

Your best bet for advice on this specific weapon would be a forum for re-enactors, collectors, or something I reckon. Airsofters might not turn out to be eligible and in any case are unlikely to want it......

Edited by Cherry beret