Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

baby jack

Armed Infrastructure Police

In SDSR15 a couple of lines made mention of a national infrastructure police force. This was further defined as one of two options, a mass bundle of various Agencies and Police Forces or two seperate Infrastructure Police Forces. The Home Secretary has decided on the second arrangement, and phase 2 of this review has begun. MDP, it is proposed, will merge with CNC and form an Armed Infrastructure Police. Phase 2 will be complete and report to Parliament this summer.

I personally think that this could be good for both forces, opening up opportunities around the country for officers from both services. However, having spent most of my working life within various parts of the Mod i am some what cynical. Will this just be another money saving only operation or will the Govt actually review what is being given proper Police protection and what isn't and then do something about it?

Ladies and Gents over to you.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. When I was at Wethersfield there was mention of the CNC link up. As a outside (hopefully) soon to be insider, it sounds great to open up the opportunities. My belief is CNI should be the soul responsability of ONE dedicated force. However this isn't my first BBQ and "stream lining" cost cutting will for sure be a big part of the consolidation. I don't envy those behind me in the recruitment road.

Baby Jack,

I don't think that the Home Office has agreed to the second of the two options. If you read the article from the Federation page it says that they have agreed to the two option recommendation. Both options are to be pursued equally with a view for a full business case being developed for each. Therefore, the option for a merger with BTP, highways and airports etc, still is a possibility. Personally, I would like to see this recommendation come to fruition. I believe that a National Infrastructure Policing model will elevate our standing in the policing community. At the moment I think that the Home Office forces view the MDP and the CNC with little regard. Furthermore, I believe that it'll certainly present more opportunities for officers. Especially for the likes of me trying to get home and away from AWE. I know that it's the only thing keeping me in the MDP at the moment. If the 'bigger' merger doesn't come about, then it is highly likely that I'll return back to the Home Office or transfer to BTP. The MDP isn't doing itself any favours at the moment by placing all new recruits into stations that officers at AWE sites have been waiting years for! It's unfair and just plain wrong. It makes me laugh when they wonder why they've got retention problems. I'm not too sure when the Government plan on getting these mergers done by, but if the merger with the CNC is anything to go by, then I feel like they'll rail road it through just in time for the next election. The government certainly has a bigger plan behind it all. Personally, I think that they will try and sell it to the public that they created 5000 armed police roles since they came into government (smoke and mirrors). Also with Theresa May trying to destroy the HO police conditions of service, she'll be able to utilize the fact that we (and the CNC) currently have to work until 3 years below national retirement age, are on contracts and can be made redundant, to impose the same conditions on the HO forces (Because I think we'll become another HO force or agency).

ICOL completely agree with you the amount of new recruits they have sent to stations that havnt Evan been advertised or offered to new recruits coming in first its unfair and is going to annoy alot of people if it keeps happening

ICOL i think you have it spot on, a small part of me hopes that this would turn out to be more than just a merger but having been in various parts of the Mod since the late 90's i fear otherwise. You are 100% right regards AWE as well, when i found out that new recruits were being sent to Territorial Div without those posts being internally advertised i had a fit. I looked into a formal grievance but for once the job had followed the rules and obtained an exemption from Mod. Don't give up on escape attempts, I didn't and having eventually got a move am much happier. Having started my career at AWE and then escaped only to be dragged back i can tell you that things completely different outside the nuclear stations.

Baby Jack,

I don't think that the Home Office has agreed to the second of the two options. If you read the article from the Federation page it says that they have agreed to the two option recommendation. Both options are to be pursued equally with a view for a full business case being developed for each. Therefore, the option for a merger with BTP, highways and airports etc, still is a possibility. Personally, I would like to see this recommendation come to fruition. I believe that a National Infrastructure Policing model will elevate our standing in the policing community. At the moment I think that the Home Office forces view the MDP and the CNC with little regard. Furthermore, I believe that it'll certainly present more opportunities for officers. Especially for the likes of me trying to get home and away from AWE. I know that it's the only thing keeping me in the MDP at the moment. If the 'bigger' merger doesn't come about, then it is highly likely that I'll return back to the Home Office or transfer to BTP. The MDP isn't doing itself any favours at the moment by placing all new recruits into stations that officers at AWE sites have been waiting years for! It's unfair and just plain wrong. It makes me laugh when they wonder why they've got retention problems. I'm not too sure when the Government plan on getting these mergers done by, but if the merger with the CNC is anything to go by, then I feel like they'll rail road it through just in time for the next election. The government certainly has a bigger plan behind it all. Personally, I think that they will try and sell it to the public that they created 5000 armed police roles since they came into government (smoke and mirrors). Also with Theresa May trying to destroy the HO police conditions of service, she'll be able to utilize the fact that we (and the CNC) currently have to work until 3 years below national retirement age, are on contracts and can be made redundant, to impose the same conditions on the HO forces (Because I think we'll become another HO force or agency).

Regarding cnc pensions the rubbish has hit the fan and it's going to a judicial review as the government want the cnc retirement age at 67-68. Hence why there's a stampede towards the exit door from staff. There is no doubt the it'll be option 2 a static armed guard service on rubbish terms and conditions.

Even though 2 options are being considered who really thinks this will go ahead? MDP had a strong defence connection and won't want to lose this. I can't see the chief constable agreeing to this.

I don't think he will have much of a choice. In the brief from the senior leaders conference it stated that the Mod were happy with the idea. We will know more in a couple of months time, unless of course the report gets delayed which is almost inevitable when it comes to government reviews.

Even though 2 options are being considered who really thinks this will go ahead? MDP had a strong defence connection and won't want to lose this. I can't see the chief constable agreeing to this.

Apparently a merger will save a serious amount of cash over 5 years. On that alone I think it's a done deal.

I'm hoping (if it ever happens) it'll be named

National Infrastructure Police Service or NIPS for short. ?

• Like 2

Guaranteed this happens in time for next election, Govt can say they have diverted defence spending to core frontline services by making cuts in other areas, and also they can say they have increased budget, home office armed and anti terror units, all the while they will have cut territorial forces budgets in the places they wanted but with no public backlash

Personally I'm with ICOL. I seriously hope that the first option will be taken and progressed through to fruition. I think the MDP (I can't speak for other non HDPF) will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century which will seriously increase our standing. Having the ability to take on roads and airports policing will also give a great moral boost to disenchanted officers serving throughout the force. However, I do get worried that as we are so similar to the CNC with only our jurisdiction to differentiate us, we will be bungled together and another force will be created to take on anything that isn't static guarding. I think this would be a grave mistake and only entrench us as what some people see as a second tier police force.

I love my job with the MDP and just hope that this will create more opportunities for everyone in our force, especially all of the new SO's ready to go.

Personally I'm with ICOL. I seriously hope that the first option will be taken and progressed through to fruition. I think the MDP (I can't speak for other non HDPF) will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century which will seriously increase our standing. Having the ability to take on roads and airports policing will also give a great moral boost to disenchanted officers serving throughout the force. However, I do get worried that as we are so similar to the CNC with only our jurisdiction to differentiate us, we will be bungled together and another force will be created to take on anything that isn't static guarding. I think this would be a grave mistake and only entrench us as what some people see as a second tier police force.

I love my job with the MDP and just hope that this will create more opportunities for everyone in our force, especially all of the new SO's ready to go.

I hear what you're saying but I think your going to be massively disappointed. It looks like BTP, Roads, Airports and ports will be a Transport Infrastructure as they are similar and MOD/ CNC will be merged as a Armed Infrastructure Police...again because they are similar with similar roles but lack day to day policing.

Nothing will change other name a cap badge/name and policy eventually. It might come under home office or it might not as it would have pension problems. I don't foresee mod/cnc officers in airports/ports ever.

I agree that it does unfortunately make sense for just the MDP and CNC to merge together as I said above. I just hope it doesn't happen, and lets remember that while stations like AWE are extremely similar to what CNC do on a regular basis, our territorial division is more like HDPF and BTP. The CNC doesn't have anything like that in their force.

Edited by Tomathon01

To be totally honest I don't think much will even change for officers, we'll be merged with CNC. What other opportunities are there? Go and stand at a different gate?

All it'll serve to do is get officers closer to home, as like many others I am living away 4 days then back home for 4 days so a CNC station could be an option.

However, opportunities for HO AFO's are regularly appearing and take it from me, they are considering MDP applicants.