Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

MOD_Hopeful

Weathersfeild for training

Hi all. 

Getting nearer to start of my training in September, and I'm just looking for tips/advice for anyone that's been for the 17 weeks? 

What do you wish that you took with you that you didn't? I'm taking my car with me the first week, driving down from Scotland, so I can take some home comforts, so to speak. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Some people brought their own TV'S and game consoles for gaming in their bedrooms. Laptops and dvds etc for the evenings, no wifi on sight so any entertainment that doesn't requires it will be useful, There are TVs in the blocks in the communal area as well. 

Thanks act. Yeah planning on taking a small to and PlayStation with a hard drive with films on it. Someone mentioned takin like a clothes horse or line to hand washing on as there is no where to dry stuff? Is there enough irons for each block? Worth taking an iron for my room? Thanks for the reply. 

If you haven't had your joining instructions yet, I think they give you a list of what to bring.

Definitely bring any home comforts to make yourself at home & yes, no WIFI so bring entertainment. Also put Wethersfield in sat nav or you might end up at Coronation Street lol ☺️

I'm flying so have to be picky about what I do or don't bring. Trying to pick a good pair of boots for wide feet without breaking the bank like a pair of Altbergs would be great but maybe get a pair for Christmas. Anyone got any tips for cheaper boots that don't fit too tight? Durability isn't an issue as they'll be getting replaced in a few months anyway.

16 minutes ago, potential recruit said:

I'm flying so have to be picky about what I do or don't bring. Trying to pick a good pair of boots for wide feet without breaking the bank like a pair of Altbergs would be great but maybe get a pair for Christmas. Anyone got any tips for cheaper boots that don't fit too tight? Durability isn't an issue as they'll be getting replaced in a few months anyway.

I just got a pair of Magnum with a zip on the side today. I'm a 7 in everything and these have plenty of room inside them in a 7. Actually quite comfortable. 

I've used Altberg's before and just bought a new pair last week. They are pretty expensive but would highly recommend them. If you give them a call and tell them you're a new recruit you will get them cheaper. I don't think its a set % discount but will normally reduce the price by 30-40 quid.

Don't spend too much on your boots although you dont get boots when starting the job you can order them when on station and guys have got really good boots from the MDP Altbergs Hiax etc, although the wait can sometimes be long for them. 

• Like 1

I ordered a pair of Magnums that are quite comfy and relatively cheap, plus found a 10% discount code so I'm sorted for boots. 

Do we also need any sore of parade shoes or that? It doesn't mention it in the joining instructions. 

3 hours ago, MOD_Hopeful said:

I ordered a pair of Magnums that are quite comfy and relatively cheap, plus found a 10% discount code so I'm sorted for boots. 

Do we also need any sore of parade shoes or that? It doesn't mention it in the joining instructions. 

It's completely up to you. Some people bring two pairs so they have a separate pair for firearms training and a parade pair to keep gleaming. Others just take the one pair and bull them up gleaming for the final week.

My mattress topper was a God send, and my own pillow. 

I was in a house so took my own TV and Xbox for the living room. 

I'd also take a Thermos for all the tea breaks. 

Hi guys, I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong place, or on the wrong forum however I have my force interview for MDP on the 23rd of this month and I was wondering if any of you could help me out, is it a competency based interview like home office police forces use?

I ended up buying a pair of bates zero mass side zip boots for £40 online down from £96 odd. Hope they fit, I hate buying online but no decent store to me locally.