Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
nightowl

Does reality of job change your outlook?

So I'm just waiting for my vetting for a PC job after coming through the two recruitment days. One thing I've been wondering about is how much the reality of the job changes your outlook. I don't think anyone I met at recruitment was naive enough to think they were going to change the world but there were a lot of good intentions. Just curious about how hard it can be to maintain a positive outlook when the reality of some of the things you have to deal with hits home?

Yes it does change the way you view a lot of things. You will be exposed to things you never knew even happened or only ever saw on television or read in books. You will see and deal with some absolutely abhorrent and horrendous things/people/situations, but you will also see some things that will give you laughs for many years to come. Sometimes it can be hard to maintain a positive outlook on society in general, I am past a year in now and even with my previous CSO experience I find myself thinking the worst of people because of my experiences as a PC.

Your colleagues will always carry you through and when you do get a good result for a genuine member of the public it feels brilliant, you won't forget it! Your world view WILL change and you will become less trusting of people. You will also have some bloody good laughs and have a chance to do things that most others will never be able to do. The main thing I can suggest is remember that your family, friends and colleagues will make a huge difference and that can make or break you. 

I wish you the very best of luck and I am sure you will have a great time (most of the time!)

On 9/8/2017 at 00:47, Jaydee said:

Yes it does change the way you view a lot of things. You will be exposed to things you never knew even happened or only ever saw on television or read in books. You will see and deal with some absolutely abhorrent and horrendous things/people/situations, but you will also see some things that will give you laughs for many years to come. Sometimes it can be hard to maintain a positive outlook on society in general, I am past a year in now and even with my previous CSO experience I find myself thinking the worst of people because of my experiences as a PC.

Your colleagues will always carry you through and when you do get a good result for a genuine member of the public it feels brilliant, you won't forget it! Your world view WILL change and you will become less trusting of people. You will also have some bloody good laughs and have a chance to do things that most others will never be able to do. The main thing I can suggest is remember that your family, friends and colleagues will make a huge difference and that can make or break you. 

I wish you the very best of luck and I am sure you will have a great time (most of the time!)

I agree with a lot of this. Hopefully you're in the job now, if so there's just one thing i'd disagree with in regards to above quote.

Your colleagues will not always carry you through. That is a complete myth. You will meet some amazing people & make some great mates but be careful however be careful who you trust. I'll expand if you need me to