Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

liamlewis58

Driving, during initial training

Just wondered is there a module as such that covers driving during training, to allow officers to drive marked vehicles and respond in blues and twos. How long can you expect to wait till your ready to go through said training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Differs from force to force...In the Met there's nothing in initial training. When you get on Borough you can request to do you basic driving, do the test and pass then you can drive marked vehicles. Basic does not allow you to drive in response mode (Without blues/twos). The standard response course in the Met will take you years to attain. 

I understand response courses are more forthcoming in other forces though...

Differs from force to force...In the Met there's nothing in initial training. When you get on Borough you can request to do you basic driving, do the test and pass then you can drive marked vehicles. Basic does not allow you to drive in response mode (Without blues/twos). The standard response course in the Met will take you years to attain. 
I understand response courses are more forthcoming in other forces though...

I’ll be starting with Essex , so hopefully they are one such force where standard driving is more forthcoming, I have C & C1 not that those will be any good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my force it can take years to obtain your standard driving authority, whereas other forces offer it before officers leave training school. 

I think Essex is generally OK for courses. 

Generally speaking in my force it was an average of 3 - 4 years before a class 3 (response) course would be offered. I am extremely fortunate and got one just shy of my 2 years in. It's a tough course though and definitely not a turn up and pass course, some would argue it's more stress than it's worth in the early days when you are still learning and completing SOLAP.

The moment I passed my course that was it. Single crewed, grab some keys and go.... safe to say you find yourself flying by the seat of your pants! A lot of learning in a very short space of time.

I wouldn't rush to grab that course though, when it comes you will know what it is to be truly bounced around from job to job!

Course is great fun though!

• Like 1

It varies from force to force. In the South East we use a colour coded permit system rather than a class system.

Red, you can only drive and respond.

Amber means you can be involved in the initial pursuit,

Green means you can be involved in the tactical phase of the pursuit.

That said we didn't used to have a class system. I got my class 4/ standard response course after 2 years and 10 months. Some got it sooner, some longer.

I've been in the job nearly 18 years now and am a class 1 advanced driver. Best course ever.

Get your self a copy of road craft and gen up on the Highway Code.