Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Kyle17290

Is it worth it??

Coming towards the end of my recruitment and it's got me thinking more as the reality becomes clearer. I've been researching and it seems to be that alot of opinions are it's simply not worth joining in regards to the social/family effects, paperwork, pc nature, stress etc. My uncles also been in for 25 years and said he wouldn't join at present. Could anyone enlighten me?

I am coming towards the end of my probation now and it really is subjective. I wanted this job since I was very young and personally I love it. That being said it can be really frustrating, stressful and sometimes very boring!

The shifts take some getting used to but if you already have an active social life you should be able to continue this. Sure you will work some weekends but it all balances out and you will make new friends in the job as well who are in the same boat.  Paperwork? Now that is something you have to be prepared to do and do it often! A colleague told me that three things in the job will land you in trouble if not done properly and that is property, prisoners and paperwork. For all the fun you may end up having you will need to write it up well, it might be the one thing that saves you if a complaint is made against you.

The level of stress depends on the department you work on. If you work on response you are under constant pressure to get to grade 1 calls and deal with them quickly, that being said in my force you won't have a workload so once you go off duty that is it for the day (or night). However, some departments are slower paced but carry the stress of very high workloads, which is the case for the department I am currently working in. Day to day I am not rushed around to get to calls, but I have a workload that will increase and I have to stay on top of it and that can be stressful.

It is normal to feel some level of apprehension as this job is a step in to the unknown for most people. A lot of ex cops or soon to retire cops wouldn't join again because this job isn't the same as the one they signed up to.

Ultimately you have to decide if a career with the Police is something you really want. If you want it then dive in with both feet and work hard, you will learn quickly and experience things you can't anywhere else. Make no mistakes it's a tough job and the current economic climate makes it tougher still but it's down to how bad you want it.

All the best! 

If it’s a career that you have always thought about and wanted to have then I would say do it. All retired cops say they wouldn’t join now ( I’m retired cop ) but that’s because the job was so different when we joined (1988) and we would still like to work under the rules and procedures that we had then. But you won’t know any different. It’s like when someone has a baby and another has twins and the person with one baby says to the one with twins - “How do you manage with two ?” 

The person with the twins ( presuming it’s their first pregnancy) doesn’t know any different because she’s only ever had two, not one! A strange analogy I know lol but the sentiment is the same.

For me it’s all I ever wanted to do. I didn’t care about the shifts or the pay when I joined at sweet 18! I just wanted to do it. And apart from some of the frustrating political red tape - I believe that it’s the best job in the world.

So if you can answer my opening statement with ‘Yes it’s all I ever wanted ‘ then I say do it!

If you can’t, then the job is too hard and exhaustingly stressful if you cannot put your heart and soul into it 100%

Good Luck

Jacqui 

On 25/01/2018 at 14:27, Jaq Rimmo said:

If it’s a career that you have always thought about and wanted to have then I would say do it. All retired cops say they wouldn’t join now ( I’m retired cop ) but that’s because the job was so different when we joined (1988) and we would still like to work under the rules and procedures that we had then. But you won’t know any different. It’s like when someone has a baby and another has twins and the person with one baby says to the one with twins - “How do you manage with two ?” 

The person with the twins ( presuming it’s their first pregnancy) doesn’t know any different because she’s only ever had two, not one! A strange analogy I know lol but the sentiment is the same.

For me it’s all I ever wanted to do. I didn’t care about the shifts or the pay when I joined at sweet 18! I just wanted to do it. And apart from some of the frustrating political red tape - I believe that it’s the best job in the world.

So if you can answer my opening statement with ‘Yes it’s all I ever wanted ‘ then I say do it!

If you can’t, then the job is too hard and exhaustingly stressful if you cannot put your heart and soul into it 100%

Good Luck

Jacqui 

Thankyou very much. You've enabled me too make my decision.

I'm a relatively recent starter, one thing you'll notice if you join is that a lot of the old guard miss the way the job used to be, which is why they'll tell you not to join. 

However, you, like me, will have no experience of that, so don't let it influence you. There are rubbish parts to the job, boring parts, and it can be stressful and dangerous. But it's also great fun, it's a job with a lot of freedom to do things your way within reason. I don't care how things used to be, the fact that the pay isn't amazing doesn't matter as I didn't take a pay cut from my old job to join anyway. The pension isn't as good as it was but it's still a good pension scheme. There's definitely annoying parts to the job where you'll be left wondering why you have to crime a load of nonsense, or when you spend half a shift or more dealing with a mental health job, but so far that's quite seriously outweighed by the good parts of the job. 

The shifts take some getting used to, and the social side too, but even if it makes it harder to keep up appearances, you'll make great friends on your shift. It certainly hasn't bothered me. 

Just try it. The job is changing even now, because of loss of officers. Don't listen to the old guard, just make your own mind up.
My probation ends in April, it's been great and bad and frustrating in equal measure. But now I have opportunities opening up so I'm excited again, just like in day 1.
Good luck

Also coming to end of my probation,

I'd never advice anyone against applying unless they were taking a huge pay cut, only you know and if you've wanted to do it a while i think it's worth seeing for yourself. 

Personally I could go on for pages about my experiences but for me the biggest shock is just how little i get a "buzz" or "proud feeling". 

I love my job but one reason that I'd counsel against joining relates to the lack of government support for us and the constant undermining of our pay and conditions.  Police are also a political football nowadays and we are under scrutiny from every muppet with a mobile phone as well as every political party and pressure group, all of whom want us to police in their way.