Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
gabby6

1st day of training

So,

I’m due to start my IPLDP in May and I’m really blimmin excited, if not a little nervous too.

Just looking for some advice from people who have been through the program or who currently are going through it. Are there any books which will be useful through the process? What kind of format and work can I expect day to day, particularly on the first day? When is it decided which force area you will be posted to to work in day to day after training? Do you get to suggest areas that are most feasible for your travelling wise or is it a ‘get what you’re given’ scenario?

I realise this will likely vary from force to force but any insight would be helpful so I can have an idea what to expect.

Thanks all.

Hello Gabby I’m still in my training, 6 weeks in but loving it. I’m with Durham so not sure if it will be the same but as for myself first day/week is just an adjustment period getting introduced to your cohort, lots of introductions, full of talks from various people/organisations but I did get the timetable on the first day, which gives the content week to week so you have a good idea what you’ll be doing. 

We were told that if we had a particular location for station in mind then to let them know, and if you’re uncomfortable with were they do post you to let them know and they’ll try their best to accommodate. I was given the info on my station in the 3rd week I believe. 

So so far we’ve been told a lot on various categories. So currently we’re doing traffic, we’ve done stop search, powers of arrest, personal saftery training(very fun), crime scene just to name a few. Throughout we’ve been given various role plays to deal with. Not sure if it’ll be the same but gives you an idea of what’s to come hopefully. 

Overall just enjoy it, everyone’s in the same boat and nervous so don’t worry :)

Thank you, that’s really helpful.

I can only speak for my force, which is the same as Karl's. I joined last year. 

In terms of books some people had copies of Blackstones Police Manual, but I found in my training period that you don't really need it. I do however have Pocket Sergeant on my phone which is useful for getting my points to prove on certain offences. You'll be taught the basics of what you need to know, your bread and butter offences (theft, assault, criminal damage, etc), your basic powers (entry, search, arrest). Each week tended to be covering a particular area. So there was a week of personal safety training (fighting and handcuffing basically), there was a week on the above offences, there were 2 weeks on interviewing, there was a week on traffic, etc. 

In terms of format, we had our instructors who would teach us most things, generally split into a morning session and a longer afternoon session (maybe split up into two sessions), with guest speakers and experts coming into see us as well. It'll get mixed up from time to time, with role plays, as what they'll really want to see is how you do when you're in action, when you're faced with a difficult situation.

I'm aware you'll probably have already started or will be just about to, but your first day will probably be admin, signing paperwork, being greeted by your higher ups, etc. 

We were able to request preferred postings, but there were no guarantees about which we would get, as you will be put where you are needed. And even after we got told (week 5 for me), there was still potential for them to change. Two people on my intake got swapped on the last day of training. I think out of 19 of us, 17 initially got a posting which was in our preferred 2-3 options. My posting was my second choice for example. 

Sign in to follow this