Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

posiDom

Self-ticketed parking on "private land"

In quiet residential streets across the UK, there is something sinister lurking.

Residents associations and owners of private land are subscribing to a growing service in the parking industry; self-ticketing.

Why sinister? As an example... Adjacent to a communal lawn (private land) there is a footpath and lay-by (both highways maintainable at pubic expense). Diagonal lines are painted in the lay-by and kerb which mark out parking bays which direct vehicles to park fully across the footpath with no room whatsoever to walk past without walking into the road or onto the lawn. Signs are placed on the lawn just 2ft from the footpath and lay-by. The professional looking signs were provided by an "industry leading" private parking company as part of their self-ticketing service. How it works... An individual with private land fills in an online form after which free signs and instructions are sent in the post. The individual places the signs and proceeds to take pictures of any vehicles violating the conditions on the signs. The pictures are sent by smartphone app to the parking company who then request registered keeper details from DVLA before sending a Notice to Keeper. The individual sending the picture gets a payment reward. Simple right? But you can already see the dangers, right? (It gets worse!)

In this real life example, the private parking company has been ticketing vehicles parked in the lay-by for about 3 years. However, back in 2016 the local authority made it clear to the PPC and Residents Association that the footpath and lay-by are both highways maintainable at pubic expense. The PPC insisted the signs are on private land and refer only to private land. Whilst true, they have continued to issue notices to keepers for vehicles parked in the lay-by. And recently, the local authority removed the painted parking bay lines and within days they were re-instated. Yes. Sinister for a heap of reasons.

In order to request registered keeper details on an industrial scale (using KADOE), a PPC is required to adhere to the Code of Practice of an Accredited Trade Association approved by DVLA. In the UK there are two ATAs; the British Parking Association and the International Parking Community. Self-ticketing is written into the codes of practice...  any violation of the code by a third party will be seen as a violation by the PPC. And yet self-ticketing is growing.

There are a number of violations of law but the local authority and trading standards seem to be powerless. And none of this seems to fit the accepted list of fraud on the Action Fraud website.
The obstruction of the footpath is a police matter but is the ticketing practice a police matter too? Or should the ATAs be given the opportunity to deal with it first - despite it being well-known that they protect the PPC above the interests of the parking public. A current case in point is the inaction against a repeat offending PPC even though the DVLA has recently suspended their access to registered keeper details which they investigate. See below.

Ref:

2018 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-parking-control-dvla-suspension-misuse-of-data-a8325941.html

2016 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35253759

2015 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34172701

2015 http://www.britishparking.co.uk/News/ukpc-disciplined-by-bpa-after-photo-tampering-allegations

2 hours ago, Sectioned Detection said:

Is there a point you’re making or a question you’re asking?

A question. I shall edit the opening post to make it more obvious. Thanks for asking. (I meant to edit it as soon as I'd posted by got distracted.)
Q. Is the ticketing practice a police matter? (ie. a Private Parking Company issuing parking tickets (NTK) on highways maintainable at public expense.)

Can't see a way to edit the opening post anyway... I'm new here. Am I missing something?

9 minutes ago, posiDom said:

Can't see a way to edit the opening post anyway... I'm new here. Am I missing something?

New users only have 5 minutes to edit posts.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2018 at 20:37, posiDom said:

A question. I shall edit the opening post to make it more obvious. Thanks for asking. (I meant to edit it as soon as I'd posted by got distracted.)
Q. Is the ticketing practice a police matter? (ie. a Private Parking Company issuing parking tickets (NTK) on highways maintainable at public expense.)

Not a police matter. Just ignore the ticket. 

On 09/05/2018 at 21:13, Sectioned Detection said:

Not a police matter. Just ignore the ticket. 

This is not the correct advice, to answer your question it’s not a Police matter and there is no legislation that allows them to do this. Parking tickets issued by these companies are civil disputes (basically you’ve broken a contract and the other party thinks they are due compensation) the only person that can advise on this are solicitors not Police officers.