Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Hi, 

So my son, who’s 19, has been practicing reversing and sometimes reaction time etc in an automatic car on a private road. The private road is about 125m long. However, he is unlicenced and uninsured. Is it okay for him to drive if on a private road? It is ungated. 

As long as you own the land and it’s not accessible by the general public. 

On 03/06/2018 at 19:29, Domd74 said:

Hi, 

So my son, who’s 19, has been practicing reversing and sometimes reaction time etc in an automatic car on a private road. The private road is about 125m long. However, he is unlicenced and uninsured. Is it okay for him to drive if on a private road? It is ungated. 

I’m inclined to say he’s commuting offences. Drive otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance. You’re (possibly) committing the offence of letting him drive without a licence and insurance.

Does he have a provisional licence? If not why not? Who’s in the car with him?

If it is a road as defined by the Road Traffic Act 1988 - 'in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access, and includes bridges over which a road passes,' then he needs a licence and insurance. If is not such a road - i.e. a completely private road over which the public do not have access then he can do what he likes.
It may be down to a court to decide at the end of the day but in simple terms if the postman, electricity reader, traveling salesman etc are allowed to drive up the road to a house then it is likely to be a road under the legislation. This gives those people the relevant protection from being put at risk by unlicenced, uninsured drivers.

17 hours ago, Sectioned Detection said:

I’m inclined to say he’s commuting offences. Drive otherwise than in accordance with a licence and driving without insurance. You’re (possibly) committing the offence of letting him drive without a licence and insurance.

Does he have a provisional licence? If not why not? Who’s in the car with him?

Hi, thanks for your reply. He’s currently got his learners permit as he needs that for an ID but he does not have a provisional licence as he doesn’t feel he needs one right now. He drives in the car alone as it’s a small road so you can see to the end. 

4 hours ago, Domd74 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. He’s currently got his learners permit as he needs that for an ID but he does not have a provisional licence as he doesn’t feel he needs one right now. He drives in the car alone as it’s a small road so you can see to the end. 

Well he’s definitely committing and offence and so is the owners the vehicle. He’s needs his provisional licence, insurance and a suitable person to supervise him. 

7 hours ago, Domd74 said:

Can I ask where in the world you are as I’ve never heard of a ‘learners permit’ in England and Wales.

20 hours ago, Sectioned Detection said:

Can I ask where in the world you are as I’ve never heard of a ‘learners permit’ in England and Wales.

I’m from Kent. It’s the usual ID you get. With the red “L” in the corner, stating “Provisional Driving licence”. I’ve always known it as a learners permit

23 hours ago, Domd74 said:

I’m from Kent. It’s the usual ID you get. With the red “L” in the corner, stating “Provisional Driving licence”. I’ve always known it as a learners permit

It’s just that you clearly said he doesn’t have provisional Licence. Anyway, as said previously, he probably is committing offences as are you if it’s your car.

Well he’s definitely committing and offence and so is the owners the vehicle. He’s needs his provisional licence, insurance and a suitable person to supervise him. 

You haven't established whether the private road is a Road Traffic Act road. If not he can drive what he wants along it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk