Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

EllJay

Vetting concerns

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice.  I was previously a Cadet with Strathclyde Police a good 10-11 year ago.  I then had a car accident (my fault) and was charged with Careless Driving.  This was about 9-10 years ago now.  I resigned as a Cadet due to this.  About 5 years ago I was driving a friends car home and got pulled over for a regular check.  It came back that I was not covered to drive his car.  So I was asked to bring my documents in the next day.

I went home and discovered I was not insured on his car, it was an honest mistake and I went to the station the next day and held my hands up.  The officer was fine, he said I done the right thing being honest and mistakes do happen.  Since then I have not had any dealings with the Police.  I know ignorance is no excuse about the IN10 conviction but it was a genuine mistake and I held my hands up.

I am about to apply to Police Scotland.  I will of course declare these incidents but do you think they will hold me back in the process?  I have matured a lot and have a few family members in Police Scotland who think I should still apply as they think I would be suited to the job.  I am just worried that these may hold me back even though they were 10 and 5 years ago.  As this is really the only career I really want to pursue now.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

To be honest you’re not going to get the answer here, you’d be best speaking to recruitment. 

They aren’t the worst crimes so I’m not sure what they’d do.

1 minute ago, aero2 said:

To be honest you’re not going to get the answer here, you’d be best speaking to recruitment. 

They aren’t the worst crimes so I’m not sure what they’d do.

I will contact them.  Was just asking here incase anyone else had anything similar and had any experience.

I know a few Police that had previous offences so I was hoping these would not hold me back as well as being many years ago now.  I can only apply and see how I get on.

I don’t think these will hold you back. Like you say they were years ago, you’ve matured a lot since. Declared them and they may discuss with you but i think you’ll be fine 

4 hours ago, chrism1989 said:

I don’t think these will hold you back. Like you say they were years ago, you’ve matured a lot since. Declared them and they may discuss with you but i think you’ll be fine 

Also, did you actually get charged with having no insurance when you were driving your pal's car?

59 minutes ago, chrism1989 said:

Also, did you actually get charged with having no insurance when you were driving your pal's car?

Well yes as I admitted it was a mistake/oversight on my part.  Took the 6 points and paid the fine with no argument or hassle.

It was a genuine mistake at the time and it was back in December 2012 so over 5 years ago now.

7 hours ago, EllJay said:

Well yes as I admitted it was a mistake/oversight on my part.  Took the 6 points and paid the fine with no argument or hassle.

It was a genuine mistake at the time and it was back in December 2012 so over 5 years ago now.

Ah so just a Fixed Penalty Fine then, not an actual conviction. You should be fine mate, declare them 100% but I’d highly doubt that it would hold you back with your application. Good luck 😊

3 hours ago, chrism1989 said:

Ah so just a Fixed Penalty Fine then, not an actual conviction. You should be fine mate, declare them 100% but I’d highly doubt that it would hold you back with your application. Good luck 😊

Completed my application tonight so will be sending it off in a few days after I read it over a few times.

I guess I wait until the vetting form to declare anything as the application form has changed from when I was a cadet and when my stepdad joined.  As they do not ask for the vetting form right away now.

I know it will come up within the interview around the cadet subject, so will just be 100% honest about the situations as that is all I can do.

Thanks for the help.  Fingers crossed for the next few weeks!

23 hours ago, EllJay said:

Completed my application tonight so will be sending it off in a few days after I read it over a few times.

I guess I wait until the vetting form to declare anything as the application form has changed from when I was a cadet and when my stepdad joined.  As they do not ask for the vetting form right away now.

I know it will come up within the interview around the cadet subject, so will just be 100% honest about the situations as that is all I can do.

Thanks for the help.  Fingers crossed for the next few weeks!

I'm not sure they're allowed to ask you about it during interview, it's the vetting team's decision so if they have any questions I'd imagine they'd ask you directly. Don't quote me on that though!

I had a declaration when I originally submitted my application and it was never mentioned in the interview. I was never given a penalty or went to court for it though, it was just a complaint I had made against me when I was a Special.  

16 hours ago, aero2 said:

I'm not sure they're allowed to ask you about it during interview, it's the vetting team's decision so if they have any questions I'd imagine they'd ask you directly. Don't quote me on that though!

I had a declaration when I originally submitted my application and it was never mentioned in the interview. I was never given a penalty or went to court for it though, it was just a complaint I had made against me when I was a Special.  

Yes I was going to declare it on my application but there is now no section for it.  My Stepdad who is an officer said I would be best leaving it totally off now since vetting is at the end and they specifically tell you not to submit a vetting form until the last stage.

I just wanted to be upfront about it.  So I will just wait and see let what happens.

Appreciate everyone’s input!