Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
punk1

Challenging a referencing decision

Hi, I was due to start as an FCR Comms officer in September subject to references.

Unfortunately, I received the following email

I refer to your recent application for the position of FCR Full-time - May 18.

Your continuance in the recruitment process is subject to the receipt of reference and security clearances that are satisfactory to our organisation.

I am now in receipt of the results of the necessary checks and it is with regret that I must advise you that you have been unsuccessful in your application as we are unable to secure references satisfactory to our organisation.

In these circumstances it is not Police practice to provide any further feedback regarding this matter.

In accordance with our recruitment policy your application will be retained for one year, after which time your application will be confidentially destroyed. Your medical, financial and security information will also be confidentially destroyed.

May I take this opportunity to wish you every success in your future endeavours.

They say it is not their practice to disclose the reason for failure. There must be an appeals process to follow but no details are given.

I am going to request the references by invoking the Freedom of Information act and go on from there.

Thanks

Which force is this in relation to?

Have a look at this College of Policing document. It is dated and does appear to be geared towards the Constable recruitment process, however I imagine that the core themes will be the same.

http://recruit.college.police.uk/Officer/Documents/CoP_Circular_Eligibility_Criteria_for_the_role_of_%20police_constable.pdf

In terms of an appeals process, I imagine it is done on a force-by-force basis, so it may be prudent to speak to someone in HR.

Posted (edited)

I would be reluctant to reveal the force it was for at this time due to a potential appeal.

However, I had a couple of dead end part time jobs before where my behaviour fell below professional standards, but I resigned from them of my own free will with the understanding that there would be no evidence on my employment record.

My case is going to be to find out what was said and somehow try to prove that it went against the conversation I had with the Managers at the time.

If I can prove that my previous employers have breached this agreement I can then can the references nullified as they were provided unlawfully.

From the document you provided it doesn't say what would constitute a ''failure'' in terms of a reference.

I've never had a criminal record, not even a caution or speeding tickets.

I really didn't realise you could fail on the back of references, I've never encountered this before. They haven't even given me a chance to tell my side of the story.

Edited by punk1

However, I had a couple of dead end part time jobs before where my behaviour fell below professional standards, but I resigned from them of my own free will with the understanding that there would be no evidence on my employment record.

I think that you have answered your own question here.

Even though you resigned from them, they will still form part of your employment record. If I recall correctly, the application form will usually ask for your employment history over a specific period, maybe 5 / 10 years. You have to put ALL your previous employment down for this date and, if you don’t, they may find out and, if they believe you were trying to mislead them, then that’s your integrity called in to question. In addition, you have to account for any gaps in employment.

On the other side of it, if you have disclosed all of your previous employment then they will probably contact them for a reference. Employers can give a minimal reference, or refuse to provide one at all. This information is then digested as HR see fit.

I wouldn’t build an appeal on the basis of a conversation that you have had with somebody that you are going to struggle to prove. Just because someone may have given a reference that is contrary to what you discussed with them, doesn’t make it unlawful.

The way to look at it is that there is obviously a reason why they felt the references were not suitable. Rather than nit-pick about what he said / she said, spend the time compiling your own references to build a picture of your character.

At the end of the day though, they are not under obligation to employ anybody. References are used to aid the decision making process about whether or not you are someone who is suitable to employ.

I wish you all the best and hope you get the outcome that you desire.

@Punk1 has made a fantastic point, in not mentioning at this moment in time the force that you were applying with. 

Have you contacted HR directly and asked them if there is an appeals procedure? 

Don't forget, this won't just cover you if it's vetting it will cover your family too so is there any other reason for it to not come back as satisfactory, just something to think about. 

I would say that you'll be very lucky if you do get an appeal overturned as your technically fighting blind and do not know what your going up against IE, you don't know what information they hold and what it is that is preventing you. I've seen it a lot with police officers going through their application stages. 

Best of luck though, I do hope it's something that you get resolved. 

Sign in to follow this