Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

TriggersBroom

Accommodation in Aberdeen

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys,

Currently at Tulliallan and have had the news that I have been posted to Aberdeen City centre. Not ideal at all as I have a family and Mortgage 70 mile to the north. This distance is not commutable. However I have to get on with it.

I was send an accommodation pack but it was more for renting 'full' flats or houses which makes it way to expensive for myself.

Is there any current probationers out there been in the same boat and could offer a solution? I have looked on spareroom.com and seen rooms available for around 300pcm mark but again I naturally want it to be as cheap as possible, so that I can at least live!

I had notice that the Uni offer accommodation and this would be interesting to know their price, however they have not replied to my email as of yet.

Probably a topic that wouldn't effect the majority of folk but if there is any advice out there then I would love to hear.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TriggersBroom said:

Hi Guys,

Currently at Tulliallan and have had the news that I have been posted to Aberdeen City centre. Not ideal at all as I have a family and Mortgage 70 mile to the north. This distance is not commutable. However I have to get on wI was send an accommodation pack but it was more for renting 'full' flats or houses which makes it way to expensive for myself.

Is there any current probationers out there been in the same boat and could offer a solution? I have looked on spareroom.com and seen rooms available for around 300pcm mark but again I naturally want it to be as cheap as possible, so that I can at least live!

I had notice that the Uni offer accommodation and this would be interesting to know their price, however they have not replied to my email as of yet.

Probably a topic that wouldn't effect the majority of folk but if there is any advice out there then I would love to hear.

 

Thank you

HI

This is something i'm really starting to panic about.  I have my final fitness next week with possible September start date.  I couldn't get the division where i currently stay so will have to sell up and move, although it's very unlikely my flat will sell.  I really don't know how I can arrange the sale of my flat, look for somewhere to live and pack up my whole flat whilst at Tulli.  Its really making me doubt i'm doing the right thing 😪.  

I'm taking quite a cut in salary so can't pay a mortgage and rent, although I'm going to speak to my mortgage provider about taking a repayment holiday.....is this something you could also look into?

Is the accommodation pack something Police Scotland provided you with? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, what I would say to you is, don't doubt you are doing the right thing. I nearly quit last week because of the stress of having to rent somewhere else. I also have took a large hit with pay and it will almost feel like I am working for nothing now. However, as I said I cant quit as I can almost taste it now.

I was also shocked when they told me where I was going and especially after being reassured that my circumstances would be taking into consideration. Not the case unfortuneatly and I am not the only one, there is quite a lot of folk in the same position as me. 

I won't be taking a holiday period for my mortgage but what I am doing is opting out of pension until we get our first payrise in 6 month. This will ease the cash flow for renting.

As for accomodation pack, it look to me as if the properties on there were owned by other Cops that were renting their properties out. There were no discounted ones and if anything alot more expensive than what you would find on the internet etc.

Dont quit bud🖒

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate, I’m a cop in Aberdeen, there’s quite often cops looking to rent out rooms. I’m on leave until next week but I’ll have a look at the notice board at queen street when I’m back as there’s often adverts there 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TriggersBroom said:

Hey, what I would say to you is, don't doubt you are doing the right thing. I nearly quit last week because of the stress of having to rent somewhere else. I also have took a large hit with pay and it will almost feel like I am working for nothing now. However, as I said I cant quit as I can almost taste it now.

I was also shocked when they told me where I was going and especially after being reassured that my circumstances would be taking into consideration. Not the case unfortuneatly and I am not the only one, there is quite a lot of folk in the same position as me. 

I won't be taking a holiday period for my mortgage but what I am doing is opting out of pension until we get our first payrise in 6 month. This will ease the cash flow for renting.

As for accomodation pack, it look to me as if the properties on there were owned by other Cops that were renting their properties out. There were no discounted ones and if anything alot more expensive than what you would find on the internet etc.

Dont quit bud🖒

Thanks. I know i'd be mad to quit now.  My first choice is V and I've just found out I won't find out where I'll be stationed until a week or two before finishing Tulliallan, how the hell can I find somewhere to live in a couple of weeks?  All these worries are taking away the excitement 😪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2018 at 15:36, chrism1989 said:

Hey mate, I’m a cop in Aberdeen, there’s quite often cops looking to rent out rooms. I’m on leave until next week but I’ll have a look at the notice board at queen street when I’m back as there’s often adverts there 😊

Thanks mate that would be great!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mate, i looked on the board, afraid there's nothing at the moment. i'll keep an eye out tho!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/08/2018 at 20:33, chrism1989 said:

Hey mate, i looked on the board, afraid there's nothing at the moment. i'll keep an eye out tho!

No probs. Thanks for your help mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was your division choices? Really surprised they’ve done that to you, I’d personally call it quits. I understand that operational reasons are important but so are officers welfare and when you’re forcing them to move away from their family with no police houses etc. I’d tell them to stick their job. 

Yeah it’s a good job but your family and living conditions are far more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aero2 said:

What was your division choices? Really surprised they’ve done that to you, I’d personally call it quits. I understand that operational reasons are important but so are officers welfare and when you’re forcing them to move away from their family with no police houses etc. I’d tell them to stick their job. 

Yeah it’s a good job but your family and living conditions are far more important.

I don't think officer welfare is that high up on their list of priorities. The whole processs from recruitment to postings seems to be pretty chaotic.

It's still mental to me that they'll get you to go right through the while thing and can only tell you your division days before Tulliannan and your station a couple weeks before passing out.

It's definitely more structured for younger folk with no commitments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Spider12 said:

I don't think officer welfare is that high up on their list of priorities. The whole processs from recruitment to postings seems to be pretty chaotic.

It's still mental to me that they'll get you to go right through the while thing and can only tell you your division days before Tulliannan and your station a couple weeks before passing out.

It's definitely more structured for younger folk with no commitments.

Yeah it’s scandalous, you should be agreeing to where you’re going prior to starting training. Especially when they give you absolutely no financial help when you move away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites